VIII. Clash of the Predators

Third Person's POV

It has been at least two weeks since Gunvald attended Nevermore Academy and Gunvald's school life was as normal as it can be, apart from the constant harassment from Ajax and in his goons. 

Gunvald's POV

"Two weeks... Two weeks... Why am I thinking about that?" I was thinking about something again which was why I didn't notice Ajax scheming again, I came to when he bumped into me again with a tray of food. 

I'm getting sick of Ajax and his two loyal dogs, as I wash my shirt in the bathroom sink since I got 'accidentally ' spilled on again. "Should I just beat them up?" I said to my reflection, "No. Violence isn't the answer... until they asked the wrong question." I replied to myself while wringing my shirt. I returned to class and sat on my seat and I heard Ajax and his group snickering, proud of what they did. I just ignored them and focused back on the class.

- - - - - 

After all the classes of the day, I always went on a walk, it became my routine to escape other people, I know I'm supposed to enjoy the outside word and interact and make friends but being alone is coded in my DNA since yetis were normally solitary species, I find peace when I'm alone and away from people. 

It also a way to clear my head since there was still some things that kept bugging me, the 'being hunted' situation and the conversation I overheard before kept popping back in my head, like its warning me about something going down tonight and it's been exactly two weeks since then.

My cave is almost done, I was able to get some proper tools in the town when Principal Blake gave me permission so I made faster progress in making some furniture and door. 

I also got some solar lamps so that I'll have some way to illuminate the inside. I got there and finished some ongoing projects and once I got into rhythm, I lose interest at anything else. 

"Finally, I finished the fireplace." I said, but when I looked outside it was already night time but it wasn't as dark since the moon was shining brightly in the night sky then I remembered the conversation I heard, "Full moon is in two weeks, that's when we start." I muttered, "What's going to happen?" I wondered as I sat down on my newly built chair. 

"Maybe I'm overthinking this." I told myself trying not to blow it out of proportions but when I was just calming down, I heard a loud shriek inside the forest. I got up and immediately ran out towards the shriek and I don't know why, my body just moved on its own. 

Third Person's POV

Gunvald was running through the jungle, trying to locate where the shriek came from. He was using his senses, trying to listen and even track by scent. Then he heard a shout, "Let me go!" and it was coming from his right so he made his way there. The moon illuminated the forest and he managed to see figures in the distant, he ran closer and he saw two guys wearing masks and all black clothes dragging a girl by her arms.  

"HEY!" Gunvald shouted with authority trying to scare the guys but both of them just looked at him, "Let her go." he declared with the most courageous voice he can muster. "Deal with him." one of the guys said and so the other guy let go of the girl and started running at him in all fours.

Gunvald's POV

I'm lying if I say that seeing him running on all fours didn't scare me but I put my brave face on, he leaped at me and tried kicking me so I slid to the side, moving away from him. He threw a punch and I put up my arms to blocked it and he followed it with a kick which I wasn't able to guard and it landed on my stomach, I stumbled a few steps back. 

I looked up and and saw him throwing a punch, I pulled my head back and his punch missed and I countered with an uppercut and it connected with his chin, he fell down on his back and I saw his eyes widened in surprise. 

"You're not the only one who can throw a punch." I said gaining confidence, he stood up and I knew that he was furious. He went to attack again, he threw a punch and I was able to dodge it then he kept punching and I was able to block most of it, but some slipped my defense and I got hit a few times in the face and stomach. 

"Help!" I turned around and saw the other guy dragging her again, "Where are you looking?" I turned back around and the guy I was fighting kicked me on the torso hard, it made me fly a few feet towards a tree. 

I dropped to the forest floor, trying to catch my breath, "You should have minded your own business and didn't try acting like a hero." he slowly walked towards me then I saw him began changing, he grew bigger and his clothes started ripping and I can see fur growing out all over his body. 

Then I started hearing howling coming from all over the academy, "Full moon! That's why they waited for the full moon, you're a werewolf." I realized, I looked at him and he became a large black wolf with razor sharp teeth and claws, "This is bad." I said to myself and he growled then he leaped towards me again but now with his long sharp claws, I quickly spun towards the right, avoiding certain death and I saw him hit the tree and a large chunk was carved out of it. 

"I'm dead if I got hit with that." I thought and he started growling, "I'm no match for him in my human form." I said thinking of what I can do, he ran towards me and swung his claws at my direction and I managed to dodge and he swung again and I rolled backwards, his claws missed me just a few inches and I saw a branch near me so picked it up and swung hard on his head, I heard a loud crack, it was my branch breaking and he just shook it off completely unfazed, he just growled and swung his arm to my side which I wasn't able to dodge and it sent me flying to a rock formation. 

Based on the pain I was feeling, I knew something broke, I coughed out blood. "I need to transform or this will be it for me." I told myself trying to dig deep to find some kind of trigger, "You'll be a nice addition to our collection." I heard the other guy say to the girl, "Collection? Don't tell me they are the ones that Principal Blake told me about. They are hunting their own kind?!" I felt rage brew inside me, the werewolf was running towards me again and I looked at him and threw a punch full strength and it made contact with his face, "AHHHHH!" I roared sending him towards a tree which broke in half and dropped on him which pinned him to the ground.

Third Person's POV

Hearing those words were enough catalyst to trigger Gunvald's partial transformation, his red eyes gleamed in the moonlight and his white long hair shone much brighter. 

He managed to stop his transformation before it can go further and turn him into a yeti since he now knows that these guys have connection with what Principal Blake told him. 

Gunvald was able to control his rage since he managed to retain his consciousness which was a first but he still sees red, he just knows that he should not kill them but hurting them is acceptable.

Gunvald turned towards the guy who was dragging the girl, "Now is a good time to release her." Gunvald said in a beastly manner, the guy tossed the girl aside and started growling and he changed into his werewolf form. 

He ran towards Gunvald and went for a bite with his sharp teeth but Gunvald caught his jaws and forced it close before grabbing his head and swinging him around and slamming him into a tree. Gunvald immediately went after him, not  letting him get back up, Gunvald picked up the fallen tree trunk and strike him with it at full strength and the impact sent him flying and also destroyed the trunk into a million splinters and chunks of woods.