VI. Public Enemy No. 1

"Something did happen." Xavier muttered, "What happened last night?" he asked and I looked up, "I f*cked up. I f*cked up bad." I replied.

Xavier sat beside me urging me to share what unfolded so I decided to tell him, "Last night after eating, I decided to take a walk and I went into the forest. After an hour or so, I began walking out to leave the forest but at some point I got lost and when I was able to exit the forest, nothing was familiar to me. I wasn't able to recognize any markers or path leading back here. While walking for a bit, I saw this greenhouse and I can hear someone there. I went to where I heard the sound and it was not only a someone, it was a they. I wanted to ask them for directions but they were all over each other based on the sounds they were making, you know making out and it was uncomfortable to listen to." I looked at Xavier and he nodded, telling me he knows what I mean. 

I continued, "I felt it was not cool to disturb them so I tried walking away but they notice me. While leaving, I stepped on a stick which made a cracking sound. That's when I heard a yell and I recognized the voice, it was Enid... And her boyfriend." I saw Xavier's eyes widened, "I didn't know what to do so I tried explaining why I was there, what I was doing but this guy was not having any of it, he quickly jumped to the conclusion that I was being a creep. I tried explaining more but he already made up his mind, I didn't want to fight so I apologized and started leaving but he ran towards me and punched me in the face and I was shocked but I felt it was necessary so I didn't fight back but when he punched again, I felt a cut on my lip and tasted blood then something in me woke up and that was when I lost it." I told him, "So what happened next?" he asked, "I... I don't have a proper control of my power yet, I can't transform at will, I only transform when I'm really pissed off. I can't remember the details just bits and pieces but I was crushing his arm and he was screaming and I had the urge to break his arm and even go further." I blubbered, "But you didn't go further, right?" he asked, "No, Enid got me to snap out of it." I uttered, Xavier let out a sigh of relief. 

"It's gonna be alright." he put a hand on my shoulder, "You didn't see how Enid looked at me, s-she was afraid. In her eyes, I'm a monster." I stood up and went to the bathroom for a bath to clean the dirt and grime all over my body.

I was just standing under the shower letting the water flow from my head down to my feet, still thinking of what happened. 

Honestly, I didn't want to go to class but it's my first day of school ever since I was homeschooled so I went with Xavier to our first class of the day. 

As Xavier and I were walking through the halls, I notice that all the students we were passing were looking at me, murmuring, and whispering with each other but little did they know, I can hear every word they were speaking.

"Did you hear that the new guy attacked Ajax and Enid?", "I heard that he broke Ajax's arm because Ajax protected Enid from him." were some of the things that they were saying. To stop myself from reacting, I was clenching my fist until it became numb. 

We entered the classroom and I went straight to the back while Xavier sat on the second row, "Hey Gun, you can sit here with me." he tapped the chair beside him, "No, it's okay. I'm good here." I told him since I wanted to be as unnoticeable as possible, I bowed my head on the table and waited for the class to start. 

"Good morning class." I looked up and the professor was standing at the front, "Good morning Ms. Johnson." everyone around me replied, I sat up properly and made eye contact with the professor, she smiled at me and gestured to come up front. 

"It seems we have a new face today." she announced, "Oh man." I muttered under my breath but I stood up and reluctantly made my way to the front and the murmurs immediately started. 

"Introduce yourself." Ms. Johnson told me, I didn't want to look at anybody so I just stared at my hands, "H-hi. I'm Gunvald Osborn. I hope we get along.", "No chance!" I heard someone exclaimed which was followed by laughter from anybody, I already knew who it was.

I looked up and it was Ajax and Enid entering the classroom with his arm in a sling. He was shooting daggers at my direction and I know he was cursing me in his head. I'm lying if I say, I'm not affected of how the others were talking about me behind my back, spreading untruthful rumors since I wanted to make friends but what affecting me more is Enid's opinion of me. She was extremely nice to me and someone I can be friends with but I blew it and she might not talk to me anymore and that thought scares me more than the punishment I may be getting. 

"Mr. Osborn. Please come to the Principal's Office." it was coming from the speaker at the corner, I looked at Ms. Johnson, "Go." she instructed. I walked by the two of them since they were still by the door, Ajax followed me with his gaze and Enid moved out of the way, not giving me any attention.

I arrived at Principal Blake's Office, I let out  a nervous breath before knocking on the door, "Come in."  I heard so I went in, "Sit." she gestured to a chair so I obliged. I wasn't able to look her in the eyes and I was just staring at my hands, fidgeting with my fingers. 

"It seems you already have an idea of why I called you here." Principal Blake said, I nodded in reply, "Based on Mr. Petropolus and Ms. Sinclair 's claims , they said that you suddenly attacked them while they were taking a night stroll." I looked up, completely dumbfounded by how far from the truth that statement was, "T-that's not what happened. Is that what he told you?" I said, "Yes, he was backed up by Ms. Sinclair." she replied, "R-really? She said that?... I-I guess that's what really happened then since it's my word against theirs." I looked down on my hands again, "But I wanted to hear your part of the story. Tell me what happened." She announced, I'm in trouble anyways so I told her what really happened.

She just looked at me and listened, giving no reactions at all when I finished telling her, "Thank you. I'm not giving you any punishment since your story is more believable. You and Ms. Sinclair were in friendly terms yesterday so I don't get that you would suddenly attack them without any reason." Principal Blake told me and I felt relieved.

"But there is something else I want to talk to you about. Who knows that you're a yeti?" she continued and asked, "Just a few people ma'am. Including you, there's only three people, Enid and Xavier Thorpe." I was taken back By the question but I replied, "Good. Don't tell anyone that you are a yeti." she declared, "Uhm... May I ask why?" I asked, getting confused of the situation, "I can't share with you all of the details. But something is happening and it is dangerous." she said ominously which made me gulp, "But what does it have to do with me being a yeti?" I asked still confused, she leaned on her chair, "It seems someone is hunting outcasts and particularly rare species.", my mouth dropped open, "Wait! Are you saying someone is targeting me?", "They might go after you if they found out that you are a yeti." she explained, my hands started shaking uncontrollably.

Then I thought about my parents, "MY DAD! MY MOM! If what you're saying is true, they might be in trouble. I need to get back." I exclaimed, "No. You need to stay here where you are protected.", "But you just said someone is hunting us. I need to make sure they are okay.", "Your father is one of the strongest people I know, even in his human form. What do you think he'll say to me if I let you out there, in the open where it is extremely dangerous", "But...", "Stay here. Your parents entrusted you to me, to Nevermore. So we'll do everything to protect everyone." she said with so much compassion which made me calm down. "You can go back to class." I stood up and walked to the door, "Mr. Osborn, remember be vigilant and be careful." I looked back and nodded in reply before walking back to class.