16 || Blind Trust

Something happened inside the forest of the giant trees, and you wanted to just go deeper and find out what. The formation was already all over the place by now, and yet Commander Erwin decided to continue the expedition, simply changing the course towards this abandoned site.

What made you feel troubled was how only the central column wagon escorts were allowed to enter the forest. At first, the other flank was ordered to go around before they were told to dismount and stand by on top of the trees. With both blades in your hand, everyone was supposed to be ready if they had to engage titans.

You got separated from Reiner, and you didn't have a chance to greet Bertolt when you saw him near the new base of the operation before. He was positioned on the left flank along with the rest of your friends, and you could only hope they were going to be okay.

Meanwhile, you were stuck here with no other explanation from the higher-ups. They only told everyone to keep the titans out of the forest, and that was what you were doing right now. One by one, titans started to swarm towards where you were standing. Thankfully it was all normal, so none of you should have to engage with them.

Jean kept on mumbling and questioning everything by now, getting more and more irritated since no squad leader out there was going to open their mouth.

"Armin, how is your wound?" You stood beside your blonde friend, eyebrows furrowed from worry since he knocked his head so badly before. "Did I tie the bandage too hard?"

He was deep in his thoughts, both eyes went vacant as he just looked down with an empty gaze, no one knew what he was thinking about at the moment. As you looked at him, you could still remember how your palm was covered with his blood. You were so dazed before to the point that Reiner had to take over since it looked like you almost faint.

After years went by, who would have thought you were still getting nausea and panicking over blood? Mostly, you could keep it under control and just walk away from it. But to know that it belonged to someone that was considered important in your life, someone that you considered as a friend — it would make your mind turn haywire.

"N-No, not at all." Armin's lips shortly curled into a smile as he tried to give you some reassurance, gazing at you with gratitude. His cheeks were covered with a cloud of pink dust, so faint but it was there. "Thank you, (Y/n). You are always so kind to everyone, I don't think I can survive this whole ordeal today without—"

"Oi, Tybur, do you think it would leave a scar?" His words were interrupted as Jean butted in. He turned to face you, pointing at the scratch that was visible on his left cheek, precisely underneath his eye. "I hurt myself before meeting up with you, helping my squad engage with a titan." He jumped towards your branch, careful not to fall as he stood right in front of your figure.

"Huh? I think it's not that deep." You subconsciously cradled his cheek, tipping his chin up to check the little wound. "See? It's not hurt, right?" Your thumb pressed on the red cut, and he just let out a small hiss at that. "You are going to be fine. The scratch will fade with time."

"Oh? I think it would be cool if I have a scar here too, don't you think?"

"What? I mean, you do you. Since when scar makes people look cool though?"

You just shook your head at that, maybe he was thinking about someone right now. A cut underneath the eye, reminded you of a certain ravenette that had a seemingly permanent scar on her right cheek. You turned away from Jean as you looked around once more, noticing how the area was too quiet.

Annie should have been screaming right now if she ever needed help. But there was no sound coming from the forest. You could still feel the ground shaking, so she was still inside and trying to grab Eren. It wouldn't be easy since he was guarded by the special operations squad, but whatever happened, you believed in her.