Chapter ten

Jenna

When Jenna got to work the next day she was utterly exhausted, there was no need in denying that. But somehow, she felt... reborn.

Telling Maddie to fuck off had made her feel better than anything had in a while, and she was only now realizing that she should've done it much sooner. For too long she had let anything or anyone affect her, dictate her life, it was time she realized that this wasn't good for her and needed to stop.

Part of her wanted to tell her boss the same thing, but that seemed a little too much. Jenna needed that job, as much as she hated everyone there. She only needed to gain back some control and had the feeling that Enid might help her do just that.

Now, how was the only question remaining.

Jenna almost wanted to laugh at how her life changed so suddenly and drastically, she didn't feel like herself anymore. It was as if a completely new person had taken over her soul and body, getting rid of her weak, past self.

The brunette smiled to herself at the thought. Maybe she was just becoming completely insane.

"Jen?"

The familiar voice suddenly made her turn around so she was faced with a worried-looking Olivia. The detective sighed, please, not again.

"What do you want, Olivia?" Jenna asked as she slumped down on her chair, not bothering to look at her friend anymore as she sat next to her. She could feel Olivia had sensed the change in her tone.

"I, uh... I wanted to apologize."

Jenna stayed silent. She expected her to tell her how tired she looked and how much she needed a break yet again, definitely not apologies.

"Jenna?"

"What are you even apologizing for?" Jenna stayed, looking back at the raven haired girl with a frown.

"Underestimating you." She sighed. "Look, you're strong as hell Jen, I'm sorry if I made it seem like I think otherwise. As your friend I was just concerned, but I never wanted to hurt you or anything. If you feel like you can do this then... I'm with you. So yeah, I'm sorry, and I'm sure you're going to catch that murderer, you're by far the best detective here."

Jenna chuckled lowly, shaking her head. "It's fine."

"Is it really?"

The brunette ignored that, and she perfectly caught the glimpse of sadness in her friend's eyes.

"Well then... I'm gonna let you work."

"Okay, thanks."

"Hey, Jenna?"

Jenna glanced up, feeling her heart clench painfully. "What?" She could feel that her voice was much weaker already.

"How about, uh... We go out tonight? Just the both of us, at that bar we used to go to when we just joined the police." Olivia started, fidgeting with the hem of her shirt, "You know, in memory of the old days,"

The brunette released a shaky breath. Olivia had been her only true friend, if she did think about it. Maybe going out wouldn't be so bad...

Except that Jenna had to move forward, and still had a lot of work to do.

She sighed. There was the mental struggle again. Just when she thought that she had gotten rid of all of that.

"Yeah, sure." She finally said, and the raven haired girl broke into a wide smile.

"Great! I'll see you tonight then." Olivia said before finally leaving Jenna alone as the girl buried her head in her arms.

She still had a long way to go.