Chapter four

Jenna

This case shouldn't be so hard to figure out, and it made Jenna's head hurt. She was convinced when she first heard of it that she'd have it solved within a day or two, but it had been nearly a week already, and she had nothing.

There was something more to it, that she was sure. There had to be a reason why Tanner refused to tell them the real nature of that date. If he was as scared as he had told their captain, then he'd do everything he could to help the detectives figure it out, including revealing the identity of that woman.

If he knew it, that was.

That was one of Jenna's theories about her. She could possibly be an escort, which would explain why Tanner was so secretive about it. The detective knew that men like him had the power and money to get anything they wanted, legal or not, and get away with it. This would explain a lot. But the thief had to know which items they were stealing, they took the most expensive ones (that were easy to carry), and they had to have made some kind of research, which meant they knew Tanner before or had planned the burglary at least.

Jenna had thought about a secret male lover, too. This could be why Tanner didn't say anything. But no one ever saw him close to any man, and that witness at the bar saw him leaving with a woman, so that theory was very unlikely.

God, how she wished she at least had a clue, anything to figure out the woman's identity.

This whole case was slowly making her insane.

The loud ring of her phone suddenly startled her as she was looking at the picture of the scene for the nth time, and she quickly made her way to it, a smile appearing on her tired face as she saw Olivia's name flashing on her screen.

"Hey, liv," She greeted, happy to have something to change her mind for a bit. She had been working on the case for a few hours already, despite that day being one of her few days off, and thought she really needed a break.

"Jenna! Are you busy?" The detective could hear indiscernible chatter in the background, as well as some loud music.

She glanced at the files discarded on the floor next to her, and shook her head slowly, "Uh, not really no. What's up?"

"We're at the bar with everyone else, Hunter will join us soon too, wanna tag along?"

"Yeah, sure," She chuckled lowly. She wasn't too happy with seeing her other colleagues, but she needed a drink, and it had been a while since she hung out with Olivia, the only friend she had left after...

Everything.

"Where are you guys?" She asked, trying not to let her mind go back there again. "I'll leave in a minute."

"I'll send you the address! Be quick, there's way too many men here." Olivia said before hanging up, not leaving the brunette a chance to answer.

She hoped going out would make her feel better. Or less miserable, at least.

Emma

Emma let out a low laugh as she looked at the car leaving the building on her computer screen. God, they gave up too easily. It was boring, really.

"Morons," She grumbled, before taking a sip of tea, hissing as the hot beverage burned her tongue.

Fuck, she hated that day already.

Emma thought it would be fun to observe them, that it would give her the rush of adrenaline she was so despairingly craving. She was playing a dangerous game, that she was very aware of, but she loved the risk of it all, any wrong step and it was all over. The thrill almost made her high, it was definitely better than any drugs she had taken before. She couldn't get enough of it.