"How did you get him back?"

"I just told Carmen that he was important to you. Reminded you of Kingsley, in a way."

That was true. Jody had always been Kingsley's 'little monkey'. And a part of her had still cared about him and she wanted to remember that then.

"You've got a kind heart, Ty. Thank you."

He raised an eyebrow curiously.

"For rescuing Mungo? It's a bit late for that, innit?"

"Not just for Mungo. For everything else, since. I think... in some ways, I've always taken you for granted. Just 'cause I knew you would always be there, trying to help me. But I think, it's about time you took care of yourself. Show yourself that kindness."

He sighed. "Yeah, maybe..."

"No, definitely! If we're still going to be friends then you need to stop holding yourself accountable for everything. You do that, and I'll work on myself. Deal?"

She held out her hand decisively. Tyler rolled his eyes amused.

"Alright boss. Deal."

They shook on it.

Tyler made to let go but somehow found himself in a hug. His chin rested on Jody's head and his eyes widened. She was hugging him a little too tightly; seriously, he was going to get strangled.

"Best friends forever?" she mumbled as he tried not to drown in her chokehold.

"For life," he stammered out, exhaling as she eventually let go with a big grin. He wasn't amused.

"Seriously, stop going to the gym - you almost broke my ribs there!"

"Yeah... not going to happen! Ow!" she laughed as Tyler chucked a pillow at her, catching her in the face.

They were good now. As she helped him fold his clothes - neatly, rather than the frustrated mess he'd made of it - they enjoyed this quiet time in each other's company. It'd been hard for them both to imagine just being friends again, but sometimes, time does heal. 

Even if everything was completely different now, maybe it was for the better.

*************

Cold droplets skidded down the glass pane, the steamed blur vanishing as everything became clearer. Just like new.

She stepped down her mind elsewhere.

The last shower.

The mist seemed to hang around as she got ready but with a difference. Today, she took her time; there was no one else queueing, no impatient knocks and exacerbated sighs, just silence.

Eventually she turned to meet her reflection, once apprehensive and yet in the blink of an eye, her gaze turned somewhat steely. She exhaled sharply, knowing that she could hardly dwell here in her moment of peace for long. 

She'd have plenty of time for that later.

Somehow she ended up in her bedroom. Sorry, the bedroom.

It wasn't really hers, anymore.

Gone were the weathered bedsheets, the musty rug, the mess of clothes, the music box, the gym kit, the useless but sentimental ornaments, her photos.

She'd felt the scratchiness of the Blu-Tack stains it'd left behind, the wallpaper peeling. It was strange; there were many times when she'd liken the DG to a prison, no space and no privacy but with all her belongings gone... the space seemed to go on for ages.