Chapter 35

A/N: And we're back.

Anakin hadn't spoken much after their exchange and Ahsoka could feel the anger and conflict rolling within him, murky and oil-like. When she informed him that she and Rex would be taking Echo to Kix before they joined the debrief, he said nothing, merely nodding. Ahsoka frowned at his troubled silence and laid a palm on his shoulder, squeezing gently before trailing behind Wrecker, who carried Echo down the steps of the Marauder to the hovercot which had been requested upon arrival.

Given that the news had already traveled through the ranks that there was an unauthorized departure of the Bad Batch with top three leaders of the 501st on-board, Ahsoka was not surprised to find heads craning to get a glimpse of the new wounded figure amongst them. She didn't like the attention, but there wasn't much they could do about it. The news of Echo's return would spread like wildfire.

As Rex took the handles of the hovercot, Ahsoka turned toward Hunter and bowed, ignoring Hunter's confusion and discomfort at her gesture.

"We could not have gotten Echo back without you and your brothers, so I know I speak for all my men when I say thank you," she said, meeting his dark eyes.

He nodded, crossing his arms. "It was our pleasure. Can't say we've ever brought a man back from the dead till now."

Her smile did nothing to disguise the quiet pain in her eyes. "Yeah, can't say I have either."

She stepped away with a dip of her head, turning toward Rex. Laying a hand on Rex's pauldron, they started toward the medbay in silence. They were expected back at command after they deposited Echo with Kix for a debriefing of their mission.

Step in step with one another, they made their way down corridors till the doors to the bay opened for them.

The usual sound of bustling, whirling, and a muffled groan greeted them. Kix was speaking with a trooper toward the middle of the room, and the medic had reflexively glanced up at the opening of the doors. At first, he continued speaking with the patient, but when he processed who was standing at the door, his head whipped back around, mouth still open, mid-sentence.

Regaining his wits with his eyes still glued to the unconscious amputee, Kix distantly ordered, "Um, sorry, excuse me for a moment. 2-5T, finish with Rutter."

Jogging the short distance, Kix stood across the hovercot from them, his hands tensely resting at his side. He knew this was not just another casualty for reasons besides the fact that he was a cybernetically modified tri-amputee.

Kix's eyes raked over him before lifting to his Captain and Commander. "Follow me," was all he said.

The silence grew louder as they rapidly maneuvered toward where the private beds were as the other soldiers watched their brother slide by.

Kix drew the curtain behind them before spinning around with a fierce intensity in his eyes. Whispering harshly, he demanded, "Who is that?"

Ahsoka and Rex looked at one another.

"You should tell him," Ahsoka said.

Before Rex could reply, Kix cut him off. "Stop that," he bit out, before his eyes widened, as surprised with both his brazenness and awareness of their silent communication as his commanding officers.

Rex's brows raised at the medic's tone, but let it slide. "I didn't say anything earlier because it was – is – impossible and I didn't want to get anyone's hopes up in case it turned out to be something else, but, Kix, Echo's alive."

Ahsoka watched as Kix lifted a hand as if to lay it on Echo's amputated legs, but stopped himself, jerking his hand back.

"Echo?" he repeated, confusion evident.