Chapter 3

Eventually, they pulled away and he went to grab lunch for them from the mess hall. Deciding to meditate, Ahsoka hoped that she could will a compromise to come her way.

Ahsoka knew he would likely take a while since the boys would want to talk and prod the dragon, giving her plenty of time to let herself go to the Force.

Opening herself up in a way she hadn't recently had a chance to, emotions, feelings, worries, fears fell away till she was one with the Force and the Force was one with her.

Examining her thoughts felt easy and eventually, a conclusion was indeed reached. One that seemed obvious all along. A way to stay with her men and not have to stay in the Order. The simple and clear way it came to her made it evident it was the will of the Force. Not only that, but the decision felt right for her.

However, it still left her at the mercy of the Council, a position she had learned to be extremely wary of. But that observation didn't stop a sense of tranquility from washing over her, cleansing her of her anger. 

It was true that in her meditation, she had come closer to forgiving the Order, for she saw through the Force the reality of her situation. Though she did not understand it, the Jedi were being used as pawns in a larger game.

Ahsoka also realized that Master Windu was wrong. She had not grown to be a greater Jedi because of their betrayal, but a wiser and better person.

Pulling herself out of the Force, she now clearly saw the path that lay before her.

What she also saw, with her eyes, however, was a clone kneeling across from her, staring. She merely watched him back, wondering how long he had been there, with a relax smile on her face.

Glancing down at her full plate on the floor and seeing a second one empty next to it, it was clear he had been there long enough to eat his food.

"How long have you been waiting on me, Rex?"

"Almost an hour." He looked curious, embarrassed and... angry? Though she could tell it was not directed towards her. Interesting. She wondered what the boys said to leave such strong a residue in him.

She grabbed the plate and began to eat. 

"Hmm. I was under longer than I thought. The Force showed me the way that I must take."

He always looked rather confused when the Jedi began talking about the Force and this was no different, but he didn't move, simply listening to her speak.

"Though I am worried, because it leaves me at the mercy of the Council to agree, the Force pointed me down this path. I must not stay a Jedi. That would lead to despair. But I must not leave you or the troopers for that too would lead to despair. Anakin's role in this, though shielded from me, is important. Therefore, I do not think it is wise to completely leave him yet either. I examined the different paths I could follow, but I have been shown that I must stay, not as Jedi, but as a solider. I will ask the Council to allow me to stay as the Commander of the 501st. Then they will not have a rogue ex-Jedi roaming about the galaxy, but instead have a highly trained solider fighting their war for the Republic that they can keep close tabs on. I will be near Anakin's side when the time comes that he needs me, and I will be able to stay here. Home."

"You know, Ahsoka, I mean no offense, but I am suddenly very glad I was never born into the Jedi."

Still quiet in her soul, as she generally was after such rare sessions, the Togruta serenely laughed. She could always trust Rex to say the truth he had on his mind.

"Understandable, Rex." She looked at her comm and began typing a message to Master Obi-Wan.

May I speak with the council at 1500?