Chapter 5

Anakin was lounging in bed while Padmé was in her sitting room (said she couldn't focus when he was next to her) when his wrist comm went off, indicating he had a message. Anxious to see if it was news from Ahsoka of how things were going – because, kriff he was still worried sick about her even if he made himself give her space – he quickly tapped to open it.

It was from Obi-Wan, reading:

Make sure your men hear this – audio file.1

His brows scrunched in confusion, he clicked the recording.

Voices filled their room and the Jedi Knight soon realized this was a confidential recording from her Council meeting. What was Obi-Wan thinking?

"-mean, 'Soka?"

"I cannot stay as a Jedi for a multitude of reasons, yet, as Master Kenobi pointed out, I cannot walk out on my men. My Captain. I request to be reinstated as Commander for the 501st in an independent military capacity. Not as a Jedi, but as a solider. Though I would prefer to keep my sabers, as those are the weapons I am skilled with, if I am not permitted to have them returned, I accept. I don't need to be paid beyond a very small stipend to cover basic necessities. But I can save more lives doing this than if I was forced to leave to become a civilian."

"Why?"

"I guess you could add it to an ever-growing list of reasons why I'm not fit to be a Jedi: I'm attached to them. I fight for them, I kill for them, and I would be honored to lay down my life so they could see another day. When I'm on the battlefield, staring down row after row of droids knowing that this might be the last day I breath, and I still stand up to fight, I'm not just fighting for the Republic. When I fight, my goal – my responsibility – is to bring home as many breathing troopers as I can. As a civilian, I wouldn't be able to do this. But as a Commander, regardless of whether I am a Jedi or not, I am able to protect more lives and do more good than I could have otherwise. All the Council must do is say yes, and if not as a mercy to me, then as a duty to the Republic."

Pride filled Anakin. This was his daughter, his sister, and she was making him so, so proud. She was too good to be a Jedi. Too compassionate, too loving, too loyal.

They were descriptions for her he would never complain about. It was true that he might still lose her because he had learned through many experiences, the Council did what they wanted to, regardless of what was right or the will of the Force.

But he could have never wished for a better Padawan, for she was truly what a Jedi was meant to be.

Anakin now understood why Obi-Wan took the risk to send this to him. The boys deserved to hear this and at least know that, beyond a shadow of a doubt, someone valued them beyond their ability to fight. Valued them enough to give up her own safety and security to stand by them.

He got out of bed with a single-minded focus on getting to the Resolute. Grabbing his lightsaber, Anakin rushed out of their bedroom and found his wife staring at her datapad on the couch. Bending down, he dropped a kiss on her head, startling her.

"I've got to get to the Resolute. Obi-Wan sent me something I need to share with the troopers. I'll be back later tonight, angel."

Still caught off guard, Padmé simply nodded her head as he rushed out to the porch and jumped into his speeder.

Breaking at least four different traffic laws, Anakin parked and raced aboard the gangplank towards the bridge. Bursting in, the few clones there were alarmed, but relaxed once they saw it was the General.

Most of them were used to his... energy. Luckily, Admiral Yularen wasn't on deck – Anakin was pretty sure he was married. I should find out. – so the General didn't have to explain himself.