Chapter 19

Note: Just another random disclaimer. Star Wars: The Clone Wars isn't mine. Just playing some of Dave's characters. Also, the line "Tell all the truth but tell it slant," that I use IS NOT mine. It's a reference that belongs to Emily Dickinson. (P.S. I read each one of your comments and I love hearing your thoughts. Even if they're like, kind of super random sometimes lol.) 

Taking in the painted 18 on the durasteel wall, Ahsoka pulled herself out of the patrol gunship, the unceasing white noise of the Coruscant traffic muffling the thud of Rex's drop behind her.

Ahsoka glanced back at him and almost wished she hadn't. With brows pinched tight and an anxious clench of his jaw, he didn't look confident.

She couldn't blame him either.

Ahsoka hadn't told him her... contingency plan, both with the desire that it wouldn't end up being needed and for the safety of everyone involved. Though she tried to push it away, something within her told her she was holding out false hope.

If what little she had heard of Fives' story was true, then he couldn't stay on Coruscant.

Taking a deep breath, Ahsoka said, "Well, let's go bring him home, Rex," doing her best to project certainty she didn't truthfully possess.

Rex grimaced.

She stepped into the darkness, blocking the faint light spilling in from outside, Rex's shadowy form meshing with hers, covering her six.

It seemed to be an industrial warehouse of some sort – definitely not GAR. Organization was almost nonexistent, providing more than enough cover. She paused, knowing her Captain would recognize what she was doing and wait.

Opening herself to the Force, Ahsoka sought a familiar signature, knowing if he wasn't there to meet them as he said he would, there was little she could do to protect him.

Come on, Fives.

But then his bright, unique light hazed in the Force plane within her mind, and she knew he was there. Ahsoka couldn't pinpoint his exact location, but he was at least there.

Conflicting, abrupt spikes of angry confusion radiated from him, unnatural through the continual worry-fear-frustration.

Withdrawing, the darkness caressed her skin as she nodded, still scanning for their brother. "He's here," she confirmed quietly for Rex.

The clone was standing close enough that his relieved sigh fanned hot across the flesh of her back lek and she had to bite back a shiver as it was replaced once more by the chilled afternoon air wafting in.

The illumination only extended a few yards before even her predator's eyes couldn't pick up much of anything and she pulled her saber from her belt, igniting it before them as a guide.

"Fives?" she called out, cautious. "Fives, we're here."

He didn't answer. There was no sound beyond the gradually diminishing hum of the traffic, but she tried again. Giving up simply wasn't an option.

"Please. Come on out. We just want to talk to you," she pleaded earnestly. Ahsoka meant it. Before they would do anything else – regardless of orders – Fives would talk, and they would listen to everything he had to say.

We are missing something.

Still, for another instant, there was no response. Ahsoka knew he was there, but she was growing worried.

Then - 

Then his voice echoed through the upper catwalks, positioned in such a way neither could truly identify the origin. But it was so, so reassuring to hear him alive, as dire as the situation was.