Chapter 30

Note: Ah. Hello. I'm a bit late, for which I apologize. The semester began so, just as a heads-up to anyone following along, I will be taking a bit longer. Also, THANK YOU to WildHoneyProse for being an amazing beta. 

Rex couldn't believe what he was hearing.

Neither could General Windu if the incredulous arch of his brows was anything to go by.

"So your plan is to go... talk with the Supreme Chancellor?"

Ahsoka pursed her lips at the Master. "We need hard, corroborating evidence before any Jedi moves in to arrest him. Otherwise, he could turn the Guard on the Jedi on the charge of treason and, depending on his plan, enact the chip's protocol in the rest of the GAR. That's a lot of useless bloodshed that could be avoided if we do this right the first time."

Rex was torn and he knew Ahsoka could feel his divisiveness – on one hand, she was right. Rex wouldn't trust the Chancellor's own security team and recordings as far as he could throw them, but this was dangerous, even for them.

"What if another Jedi went in with you?" Rex asked, refusing to back down despite the small brush of Ahsoka's frustration.

But she was already shaking her head, frowning. "He would sense something was off. There would be no reason to have a Jedi with me simply to request a promotion to General."

She was right and Rex hated it.

He scrambled about in his brain for an alternative. It wasn't that he thought her incapable, but even he recognized the severity of this situation. It was bigger than the war, bigger than any of the other villains they had fought up to that point.

"Rex..." she began, fixing him with a look that was half apology, half pleading.

"What if I came with you? You could just call me extra security and have me stand guard," he offered, his own hope rising as he sensed her considering it.

"But how would we explain that to Anakin? I know Obi-Wan will be distracting him, but he won't just miss the fact that neither of us are responding to him." Her hesitant response only served to solidify his optimism.

Before he could respond, General Windu spoke. "Leave that to me. Should he ask, I'll inform Skywalker that the Council has given you a short assignment and that the Captain's protection was warranted. Notify me who you want in charge in your absence, Captain."

Rex knew his eyes – and Force signature – likely gave him away in his level of dedication, but he nodded gratefully to the man. "Yes, sir." The clone knew he didn't exactly have the skill set to fight a Sith lord, but the least he could do was have Ahsoka's back.

Ahsoka dipped her chin, grim in the set of her jaw. "It's settled then. Once Master Kenobi joins us at the base and is up to date, I'll request a meeting with the Chancellor."

Her gaze was durasteel and voice beskar. "Under no circumstances can Anakin know. The Chancellor has been a loyal friend and mentor and he wouldn't take this accusation lightly."

Ahsoka heard no arguments from the two men before her.

_________________________________________________

The flap of the tent fell heavy behind them, leaving General Windu still staring at the slowly spinning holomap before him, a weight settled tangibly upon his shoulders.

Both Rex and Ahsoka were expected back in that very same control room in approximately five hours, but sleep was calling to him as he raked his eyes over the cluttered stacks of armor and sprawled bodies. Most men fit inside the tents they had, but not all of them. The double moons of Anaxes bathed the unfortunately unsheltered troopers in a faint blue hue.

It's Commander Tano, Not PadawanOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara