31. That's Love

Aliya's POV

The moment Damien started to kiss me, a new feeling was born within me. His lips parted mine, demanding entrance. I didn't waste a second more giving him exactly what he needed.

Eyes still closed, I cupped his face to bring him closer. If it weren't for Damien carrying me with my legs wrapped around him, I wouldn't have so much power that our now equal height allowed me to have.

My other arm wrapped around his neck, nails digging in his shoulder. His shirt wrinkling under my desperate grasp. The cool air hitting my thighs confirmed that my dress was in a similar condition. It had risen up to rest around my hips now, where Damien's hand firmly held me up.

Our clothes were now an unwanted barrier between us.

My fingers snaked down to find the button of his shirt.

As if the action set off an alarm in his head, Damien stopped kissing me.

I finally opened my eyes and looked at him, displaying my sudden dismay at his absence.

My desire for him shown fiercely in my eyes.

"Wait," he breathed out, like he was trying to recover from the kiss himself.

Even his voice sounded so sexy. I was carried away by how hot he sounded that I barely made out the words he was saying.

"I need you to understand. Once we do this, there's no going back. I need you to be sure."

His forehead rested against mine.

"What do you mean there's no going back?" I frowned in confusion. Searching his eyes for answers.

Damien released me from his embrace, putting me back on my feet and taking a step back.

My body instantly protested, wanting to be back in his arms. It took a few seconds for me to compose myself.

How dare he leave me with such need running through my veins?

Why is it that every time we are so close he decides to take a step back?

"You have to know what you're getting yourself into," Damien's eyes held regret, "if we have sex we'll be completing the mating process. The process consists of two steps. The first is to exchange blood which we've already done, I've fed from you multiple times and then given you my blood to heal. The next step would be having sex which will bind us to each other forever."

Oh.

My mind went blank for a second.

That was not what I expected to hear at all.

The mating process.

What would happen if we complete it?

"You'll be bound to me forever, until one of us dies." He answered my unasked question.

His voice gave away his concern. There was a hint of sadness hidden behind his words.

Bound to him for eternity.

That would mean I wouldn't be his just for tonight; but forever. I half expected the thought to scare me, but it had the opposite effect. Maybe because Damien had proved to me that it was better having him in my life than not. He's proved to me that he would travel great distance just to find my happiness. There wasn't a person he wouldn't fight for my sake.

He wasn't the Damien I knew before I left.

Hell, he let me go after knowing it would weaken his vampire side, or might even kill it.