18. Bloody Vampires

Aliya's POV

It had been a long night.

Eric, Emma, and I only exchanged a few words throughout the night as we sat there in the king's chambers. My back rested against the headboard of the bed, with a fur blanket keeping my body warm. Emma sat on the other side of the bed with her legs crossed, facing Damien whose fragile figure was resting between us. And Eric was sprawled amongst the sofa chair, looking up at the ceiling.

Something about the scene didn't seem quite right; I was so used to Emma and Eric's constant bickering or talking. Her over the top excitement was the heart and soul of this palace, but now she sat quietly looking down at her fidgeting fingers.

I couldn't blame her, it was the circumstances that forced us into this deep state of shock.

We were still trying to process what just happened tonight.

My eyes looked down at Damien again, for what seemed like the millionth time. As if my gaze would somehow have a positive effect on him and he would wake up.

Please wake up.

"I've never seen him like this," Eric said, making me look up in his direction to find him staring into the distance.

"This doesn't make sense. He's not just a vampire, he's the strongest vampire. How anyone could succeed in defeating him is something I just cannot wrap my head around. There has to be something that I am missing."

Eric seemed lost in thoughts, as if debating over every possible cause of this threat.

"Can I ask you a question?" I asked him and continued when he nodded, "how is he the strongest vampire, I mean, how did he become one?"

I knew his father must've turned him into a vampire when Damien was taken, but the process was so foreign to me. All my dreams consisted of the Damien after the transformation. He was trained to be an assassin, but that couldn't possibly be the only reason why he possessed so much strength. His father saw potential in him even before the excessive training.

"Before he was a vampire, he was an angel. From what I know, he had some special powers and the strength of a thousand men before he even turned ten," Eric explained.

Special powers?

Why was this the first time I was hearing about this?

"He was turned into a vampire from royal blood, which meant he was capable of things that a normal vampire wouldn't be able to do. Like invisibility, it's not a gift that many in this world have. It's only been seen in the most powerful royal families, and even then it only appears once in a few generations. But Damien received that gift upon turning,"

I recalled when Damien was showing off by turning invisible and making me chase him down a few months back.

That prick, he just loved to annoy me.

"Now to answer your question, there are a number of factors that contribute to his strength. His angelic side, being turned into a royal vampire, and then there is something else. Something that isn't talked about because it shows the cowardice acts of the vampire king before him."

"Cowardice acts?" I looked at him, confused.

Glancing at Emma, I noticed her looking at Damien with sympathetic eyes.

Eric continued, "When King Isaac turned him, he thought Damien would lose his angelic side and be reborn as a pure blood vampire. But it didn't die, he still had his wings and the magical powers."

I interrupted him because my curiosity got the best of me, "what magical powers does he have?"

Eric shook his head, "he doesn't have them anymore. And even I don't know what those powers were, maybe he will tell you himself some day."