29. Falling

I glanced at the clock sitting on the bedside table, for what seemed like the millionth time.

It was half past midnight.

Where was he?

My body shifted uncomfortably on the bed, turning to face the other way. Now I had a full view of the balcony doors, the sheer curtains gave me a glimpse of the outside world. I could make out the bright light coming from the moon, which was strangely bigger in size in the vampire realm. The scars on it all the more noticeable.

I sighed.

The scars on the surface are always noticeable, but what about the ones that are imprinted on our minds and souls?

What about the ones that are always hidden away from the world?

The scars that we ourselves never knew we had?

We were left with two choices. Either we could ignore them for the rest of our lives and live with the fear of someone else discovering them. Or we could wear them proudly and choose to accept our flaws.

I just didn't know which was easier.

I was afraid.

I was afraid of this place.

The place that gave me too many scars to even count.

I was afraid of the darkness that called out to me when I was alone.

I was afraid I would wake up one day to realize I never left the darkness that surrounded me.

This was all just a dream.

And it'll be all over in an instance.

The thought jolted me up in a sitting position.

My hand landed on the pillow behind me and I felt the wetness on the satin pillowcase, informing me of my tears.

I wiped my cheeks with the back of my hand. Pushing my hair behind my ears, I sat up straight and crossed my legs.

I didn't know what was happening to me.

Perhaps it was the worried feeling I'd been carrying in my chest all evening, or the stress about tomorrow.

It was Emma's wedding tomorrow and Damien still wasn't back.

I wondered if he was okay.

He didn't look okay when I last saw him in his study.

Where could he have possibly be gone to that he still hadn't returned back to his room?

The room felt even bigger without him in it.

Swinging my legs off the bed, I made my way over to his closet.

I was barely inside the walk-in closet before I reached down to remove my top and dropped it on the side.

Once fully inside, I opened one of the many drawers where I knew he kept his shirts. My fingers ran over the neatly organized t-shirts before settling on a plain white tee. I pulled it out of the drawer and quickly changed into it.

I brought the collar up to my nose and took a long sniff, smiling right after.

It definitely smelled like him.

When I got back into the covers a yawn alerted me of my tiredness.

Wearing his clothes gave me a sense of familiarity and it calmed me down instantly.

I didn't know whether I should be worried or happy after discovering that.

My eyes started to drop and sleep overtook me after a final thought came to my mind.