15. Princess

Damien's POV

"Here, drink this," I slid the stainless steel glass closer to Aliya as it made a scraping noise against the desk.

"What is that?" She looked up from her laptop, her eyes had stayed glued to the screen for the past half an hour as she attended her online class.

"Blood," I said, casually.

She made the most disgusted face before pushing it back towards me as if it was poison.

"What, the blood group not up to your standards? Would you prefer a different one?"

She turned to look at me to see if I was actually serious, "I would prefer a latte but thanks for asking."

"Don't worry, your breakfast will be here shortly."

She nodded and gave me a small smile before resuming her work.

Realizing it was Monday and she probably had classes, I had woken her up this morning pretty early. After the events of last night, she was bound to be hungover and tired. I suggested that she took her online class here in my study where I could make sure she didn't fall asleep during her lectures.

This whole online schooling was still a strange concept to me. It was something that even the vampire community was shifting towards, our universities were holding classes remotely for the ones that could be taught that way.

I remembered when the officials had asked for my approval to move some classes online, I agreed as long as they still catered to the students' needs, just as if it was in person.

There were also some suggestions of putting together a program to update the teachers and professors on the latest technology so they wouldn't be so challenged with evolving times. Some of them had been teaching for centuries, but their knowledge was as good as nothing if they didn't know how to translate it over to the new generation.

I telepathically ordered the head chef to send breakfast for Aliya and a pain killer for the headache.

Oh, and coffee for my caffeine-addicted mate.

As if feeling my eyes on her, I watched as she shifted in her chair. We were sitting on the opposite sides of my enormous desk, which was now filled with unnecessary junk such as highlighters, colorful pens, and notebooks sprawled over it.

Her uncomfortable posture gave away what was going through her mind, I didn't even need to read her thoughts. Her rosy cheeks flushed with the memory of last night, her feet tapping gently but rapidly on the soft carpet was enough to notify me of her dismay.

Her beating heart was a great distraction which prevented me from focusing on anything in the room besides her.

I was starting to think it wasn't a smart idea to have her study here with me, right in front of my eyes when I had my own work lined up.

"Will you stop that?" The snap of my voice surprised me, I didn't expect it to be so loud.

"Stop what?" She frowned, not realizing the distraction she was causing me.

If it wasn't for my sometimes over-the-top sensing abilities, I would have been able to focus on other things.

"Nothing," was all I said before dropping my gaze.

Her beating heart was only a reminder of how alive she was. Something that I could never be.

Her heart pumped the oxygenated blood to the rest of her organs through her arteries, before it became deoxygenated and returned back to her heart. Her lungs filled with air as she breathed in, and out.