Chapter 9

~the Eagles ~

     The Eagles soar through the sky over a great distance and over many landscapes. Thorin lies unconscious in one of Eagle's talons. I finally had time to think and sort out my head.  "Thorin!"shouted Fill. The Eagles approach a massive rock structure shaped like a bear; it is the Carrock. The Eagle carrying Thorin gently deposits him and his sword on a flat area on top of the Carrock. Another Eagle lands on the Carrock and Gandalf slides off its neck, running toward the unconscious Thorin. I patted  the Eagle I was riding on the head.

     "Thorin! Thorin." My father shouted but with no response. Bilbo runs up To the both of them. I saw  the other dwarfs speaking in whispers as they got off their eagles.  Gandalf placed  his hand on Thorin's face and whispered a spell. Thorin's eyes fluttered open and he gasped for air. I ran over. "The halfling?" He Crooked "It's all right. Bilbo is here. He's quite safe." I spoke softly. 

By now, the other dwarves have all been landed on the Carrock, and they surround Dwalin and I help Thorin up. However, once he's up, he shrugs us  off and approaches Bilbo.

"You! What were you doing? You nearly got yourself killed! Did I not say that you would be a burden? That you would not survive in the wild? And You! I told your father that you had no place amongst us! That no elf should be messing with the business of dwarfs!" Thorin advances until he is face to face with Bilbo, who looks worried and frightened.

"I've never been so wrong in all my life!" He sang. I was shocked. This whole journey Thorin wanted the both of us gone. I didn't know what to think. Thorin grabbed  Bilbo and embraced him deeply. The other dwarves cheered  loudly and slapped each other on the back. I caught a glimpse of Ada smiling. Bilbo looked quite surprised, but he hugged  Thorin back.

     I started to walk to stand with the others when I felt a hand grip my arm. "I am sorry I doubted both of you, lady Carnen. And Bilbo. "No, I would have doubted me too. I'm not a hero or a warrior...not even a burglar." Bilbo started. I was too choked up to speak. I really did care for them, all of them. I heard everyone's chuckles, the Eagles flew away, screeching. Thorin stood and  looked  beyond Bilbo and saw something, he strides forward, and  we follow. I saw it.

"Is that what I think it is?" Asked Bilbo

In the distance, on the horizon, We all saw it. "Erebor—The Lonely Mountain. The last of the great dwarf kingdoms of Middle-earth." My father spoke kindly. I heard my Kezs hoof prints climbing up the rocky cliff.  "Our home." Thorin said proudly. I felt a similar hand wrap mine. By this point my Burgundy tunic and black pants that had a lot of pockets were covered in dirt and grime. I didn't look very elf lady-like. My hair had been in an intricate long braid that went down my back but I think some parts had come undone. On my waist was a sword, a side pack attached to my pants that held some food and a water skin. I had left the rest of my things on Kez so it was nice to hear her hoofs. I also had my bow and quiver but most of them were lost. 

My ears perked up when I  heard a bird cheep and fly by. "A raven! The birds are returning to the mountain." exclaimed Oin. With his words more and more birds began to sing

"That, my dear Oin, is a thrush." my father said. "But we'll take it as a sign - a good omen." reported, gripping onto bilbo slightly tighter. "You're right. I do believe the worst is behind us." Bilbo said not knowing what is was to come. How much of this journey we still had left.

     Morning fell upon us. Everyone was more than exhausted. Today would be a rest day, travel would pick up tomorrow.  I set out to get some kind of game to feed the many dwarfs. I said I would be just fine on my own but Thorin insisted he come with me. "Why did you save me?" he asked as I shot a rather large rabbit. " I was nothing but cruel to you and yet you saved my life why?" I picked up the rabbit and threw it over my shoulder. "Thorin, I saved you because whether I like it or not, one day you will sit on the throne  and be a king.  I have seen too many great kings fall due to their own reasons but you, I know you will not fail." I paused and shot another couple squieriles. "You will be the last good thing I do before I am not needed anymore and sent to live with the other stuffy elves."

     Thorin looked at me for what felt like an age. I think I saw a tear roll down his face. "I think youd be a better king than I." He chuckled. I let out a smile. We walked a few more feet in silence. " I know you feel for him." He blurted. I stopped dead in my tracks. "Pardon me?" One of my brows arch and I turn to face him. "I've known for quite some time actually but I was too angry at Gandalf for making you and  Mr. Baggins to come on this journey. I didn't know what to think of it."  I just kept walking and my face felt flush.

    Finally we made it back to where we decided to camp. Killi had started a fire and Oin had fashioned something to cook the game in. I didn't feel like cooking so I found some wood and started making more arrows. When I was done with that I jumped off kez and walked her to a small stream that was no more than 20 yards or more away from our camp. I cleaned my face and hands in the cold water before filling up everyone's water skins. I don't feel so grime now. Now I can sort out my emotions. I was away from my father, Thorin and the thing that was causing my problem.

     Do I care for Killi as much as Thorin thinks? I wasn't sure. I sat by the stream and just listened to the water and noises of the lake.  I took out the braid in my hair and just let it down. I'd put it back up later. I heard footsteps reach the stream. Well there goes my solitude.  "Can I sit?" Asked Killi. Great, my problem is here. I gave him a nod yes. He sat  close enough to me that I could feel his body's heat. I was more than happy that he was alive but I hadn't thought really how happy I was.

       "So." he looked at the stream's bank."So we fought a bunch of goblins, wargs and orcs and almost died doing so." I said sarcastically. I think I moved closer to him. No one in camp could see us. They were either sound asleep or busy with their own tidings. I couldn't stop thinking any more so I just turned to him and kissed him. And he kissed me back. He pulled away after a few moments. "Sorry" I stammered. " For what?" A smirk came to his face. "I Am not qu--" I was interrupted by another kiss from him.