Chapter 3

~troll trouble  ~

This is day 5 of our travels. We are to make for Rivendell, Thorin was vexed on the decision. Most Dwarfs and Elfs do not get along. But I have never met a dwarf who held such a deep hatred for Elfs as he. I felt his stares of distaste at all times. It was as clear as day that he loathed me. He was not like this to Bilbo. He was annoyed with him at times but more kind. Bilbo had fallen off his pony more times than I could count. One thing that is certain is that no one believed that Bilbo could be a burglar.

    In the past days rain has been our only sky. Large dark clouds covered the air. All our food was soaked. The ponies and horses struggled to keep up with all the mud and silt on the roads. It was not the best of travel conditions. To get my mind off of the depressing landscape I began to think of our destination. Rivendell. There is something special about that place. In all the other elf realms I am an outcast. But Rivendell was nothing like that. Whenever my business is done and I'am ready to end my travels, that is where I am going to rest. Not with the elven royalties who care nothing of me.

I now wore a white top with the same black pants. I also had a cape  and hood.  Hours later we had set up camp. There was little to no dry wood we could use to make a fire. The air had a melancholy touch. Filli and Killi were sent to take care of the ponies. Thorin had stomped off somewhere in the woods and I cared not about his whereabouts. After a great trial, somehow a fire was made and Bofur made stew. Bofur gave Bilbo 2 bowls to give to Killi and Filli. Bilbo walked away quickly to find the brothers. Bofur struggled to keep Bomber from getting more stew. "Well then, who else is going to have it?" protested Bomber. "Well, the lass might want some more, as she's only had about a half bowl and you've had 3!" Spoke Bofur walking to where I was sitting, taking my bowl back to the pot and adding more stew.

I smiled and thanked him. When I was done I collected other bowls and sat back down.I went back to woodling a tiny horse. "What's the horse's name?" Balin said sitting next to me. " It doesn't have a name yet I suppose. '' My voice sounded timid. "Well you should come up with one!'' said Ori. " I just havent had the time." A smile came to my face. I talked with the dwarfs for some time more.

"I'm going to see what's taking Bilbo, Killi and filli an age to get back. I'll be back in a moment."I found Killis tracks and followed them. When the tracks stopped I saw Killi, Filli and Bilbo huddled together behind a log. "What are you doing?" I asked. I felt a hand pull my leg down and in a minute I was behind the log with them. Killis' hand was on my back. "Trolls. And they've got 4 of the ponies." Said Killi in a whisper. "I think they're going to eat them! We have to save them." Bilbo whispered loudly. "Yes we should do something, mountain trolls are stupid and slow Bilbo you are tiny and Carnen you are fast. They'll never see the both of you." Filli said. "It's totally safe." Killi added.

"We'll be right behind you, if you run into trouble, hoot twice like a barn owl and once like a brown owl." Fili continued pushing us both on to the path. We both turned around to see that they had vanished. They were completely out of our sight. "Are you ready?" I asked Bilbo. "No." He answered. "Good neither am I." And with that we were going to get our ponies back.

"Mutton yesterday.", one of the trolls spoke as I looked to see a flame radiating heat. "Mutton today, and blimey if it don't look like mutton again tomorrow.", I looked closer to see not only one troll, but three monstrous trolls. "Quit your griping.", another had spoken, "These ain't sheep, these is fresh nags.", I gazed upon my surroundings, walking closer before getting down to my hands and knees. I looked behind me to see Bilbo following my lead as I gestured to him to hurry up, I looked ahead of me to see all of our ponies in a wooden fence outline , secured with a tight rope. I continued to overhear their conversation.

"Well, it's better than that leathery old farmer.", I stopped dead in my tracks. "All skin and bone he was. I'm still picking bits of him out of my teeth.", as I swallowed nervously, my stomach turned over just thinking about it. I turned quickly to look at the hobbit. He was watching the trolls every move. The trolls continued before one of them sneezed right into the stew. I closed my eyes and gathered my strength to move forward, feeling like my lungs were burning alive at the stench of the trolls. Bilbo looked at the sword on the troll's belt "Ah, there's more where that came from", another troll breathed out as I grew closer to his belt "Oh no you don't.", one of the trolls gripped the other's nose, pulling him to the side harshly as it cried out in pain, "sit down!", I quickly hid behind a barrel keeping watch of every move, "well I hope your gonna gut these nags, I don't like the stinky parts.""I'm starving", another explained, "Now, are we having horse tonight or what?", the troll whined vigorous. "Shut your cake hole", the other troll replied. "You'll eat what I give you"