Chapter 65 - Farewell in Flames

Começar do início

A man stepped forward, his once-pristine clothes drenched from the downpour. Though his eyes were moist and his cheeks wet from more than just rain, he stared at the body on the pedestal with an almost determined gaze.

"Lord Edward, please stand down. It is not yet your turn to speak," Eirlys said.

Edward ignored the senior knight as he strode toward the pedestal with flint and steel in his hands. He stood over Trista's body, his hands shaking and his shoulders trembling. His attempts to produce the sparks necessary to set Trista's body aflame were futile in the heavy rain, but still he continued.

"...Lord Edward. I know the pain that you must feel right now, but you must restrain yourself for Trista's dignity. She would not want this," Eirlys spoke gently, her long eyelashes fluttering.

Edward did not stop. In response, he made but a single declaration.

"I will light a fire."

That one simple sentence resounded powerfully in everyone's hearts, drowning out even the drumlike cadence of the falling raindrops. It hung in the air, accompanied only by the sound of Edward striking steel against flint.

The shuffling of footsteps was heard as two knights made their way out of the crowd.

Emily and Loretta stood beside each other, their swords drawn as they spoke in unison.

"I will light a fire."

Though the two knights were still soaked in grief, there existed a light of resolve in their eyes now, their spirits lit aflame by Edward. They stood over Trista's body, striking their swords against one another with such force that sparks flew from the steel.

Even so, it wasn't enough. The merciless rain washed away those sparks of hope that sought to ignite a blazing flame.

"...That's quite enough, Lord Edward. Dame Emily, Dame Loretta. Please retu—"

Medrauta drew her sword, the silver of its steel shining brightly despite the dreary backdrop that it was cast against. She had recovered it after it had slid out of the witch's shoulder, holding it high above her head now. Though its edges were jagged and its hilt dreadfully worn, it drew the attention of those around her like a beacon of light.

Medrauta fixed her gaze on Eirlys', her jaw set in a determined line.

"I will light a fire."

Similarly, other knights around her began drawing their swords, raising them in defiance to the heavens. They echoed the sole sentence that Edward had spoken, and that lone declaration became a chant that repeated as the knights advanced toward the pedestal where Trista laid.

"I will light a fire! I will light a fire! I will light a fire!"

Eirlys could do nothing but stand back as she watched the mourning knights march forward in solidarity. She did not wish to oppose them, but more importantly, the sight touched her heart. Even during her wartime days she hadn't seen such a beautiful display of unity in the face of suffering.

"E-Everyone...!" Emily and Loretta's eyes now moistened with newfound tears that were shed not only for Trista's passing, but appreciation for the knights who stood against even the will of the heavens to give Trista a proper sendoff.

The knights stood in a circle with Edward in the center, all of them simultaneously striking their swords together with every ounce of strength they could muster, birthing countless sparks that joined those that Edward produced.

At last, Trista's clothes caught flame, but it still wasn't enough. The heartless rain doused those hard-earned flames before Trista's soul could be freed by their blaze.

Though the sight was no doubt demoralizing, the knights did not relent. Instead, the extinguished flames merely drove them to strike their swords with even greater force.

Damn it! Is it still not enough!? Medrauta inwardly cursed. We'll send you off, Trista! No matter what!

Suddenly, strands of silver light began to lift off her body as a great wave of strength surged through her limbs. Medrauta's eyes widened as her gaze left Trista's body.

Among the crowd that stood across from the circle of knights was Viviane, her Crest manifested in all its glory. Her eyes met Medrauta's, the determination in them equal to that of her knight's.

"We will light a fire!" Viviane declared loudly for all to hear.

The nobles around her gawked in surprise for a moment before taking up her chant and manifesting their Crests, bestowing them upon their knights and enhancing their strength. The campus grounds filled with the sounds of steel clashing and the sight of sparks flying.

"We will light a fire!" Both knights and nobles roared alike.

United solely by their strength of will, the knights' swords struck against one another simultaneously, a shower of sparks raining down upon Trista's body. There, they joined with the once-futile sparks that Edward struck. A defiant pillar of flames burst forth, burning with such intensity that not even the heavens could quench.

Though its luminous body flickered and waved, the resolve that now burned brightly in those who watched was immovable. Its warmth seared away the despair and dread that hung in the air, replacing it with radiant hope.

At last, Trista's body had been lit aflame, and as her body turned to ashes and her soul flew to Aluvsha's domain, the rain stopped and the clouds parted as if to welcome her return.

Medrauta stared up at the now-blue sky and the sun that had finally revealed itself. She allowed her grip on her sword to relax, and it clattered to the ground.

"...See you later, Trista."