- xxi

a/n — was this too soon? eh enjoy the chapter :))

"Welcome to cafe le six, take a few minutes to look through the menu and just give a call when you're ready to order." Jae recited with a charming smile on his face.

lvl 0 nodded walking to the counter to look at the overhead menu trying to decide what it was he wanted.

"There croissants are good." you piped up, eyes not leaving your note book. "So is the blue berry muffin, and turnovers...cinnamon rolls."

lvl 0 glanced over to her, a smile forming under the mask. He looked at the pastry nodding his head at your choice. "I'll get one of all the things she said."

"and any drinks with that?" Jae asked putting the order into the machine.

Soon you feel a presence sitting in front of you, your eyes briefly moved up, momentarily glancing at him. "Sitting with little old me, lvl 0?" you mused. Despite how cool you were looking on the outside, your insides were about to explode; you were trying to force your heart to calm down.

"only lvl 0?" he mocked hurt, hands covering over where his heart was. "i'm deeply offended,"

You clicked your pen off before sitting up straight giving him your full attention. "Your heart is on the left."

"So how did the interview go?" he asked, switching topics, he watched as you dropped your head into your hands. "Can't have been that bad right? You were so prepared."

"It was horrible!" You groaned shaking your head. "I can't believe I did that....oh my..."

"What to talk about it?" he offered pushing the cinnamon roll towards you.

"My lying cheating bastard of an ex was there." you cringed as the scene replayed in your head. "And so naturally I blew up on him!...What the fuck is wrong with me? Why did i do that?"

"Wait you're ex?" lvl 0's eyes widened, this was news to him. And so you explained a condensed version of your history, mainly about how he cheated on you with some other girl who turned out to be one of your friends (who wast your friend anymore after that) and all that cliché shit.

"...and yeah, I called him a bunch of names and took out all my frustrations — which I thought I was over but clearly I was wrong — totally embarrassed him and myself and then I couldn't look the interview in their eyes and...yeah neither of us are gonna get that job." And with that the last bite of the cinnamon roll was finished.

"Damn."

"Damn indeed." you uttered.

"Knowing you, you probably said some fowl things," Jae piped up reminding you both that he was there and very much eavesdropping. "But also knowing him, he deserved to hear it. Though I'm not sure at a job interview was the right place."

"I know, I know." You sighed. "I just snapped,"

A few customers walked in, you could see the man opposite you tense slightly making you wonder. Jae now occupied with customers you pulled out a container from your bag.

"Want a brownie?" You offered sliding it to him. "Made them last light," You said with a smile.

First his eyes lit up, he loved brownies. Then he remembered who it was sitting in front of him. "...you didn't...put in...you know?"

Holding back a laugh, you reached over opening the lid. "Don't be boring, just try one!" you teased. Of course the brownies were just normal baked goods but he didn't need to know that.

"Angel No." he almost hissed.

"Angel?" your brow rose.

"You're right, Devil suits you better."