Self-reflection

Chapter 19: Self-reflection

He lay in the water with his chin resting on his folded arms over the edge of the lake. His gaze lingered on the girl in front of him and smiled. He was so happy she was here. She noticed he was looking at her and smiled back as she took off her hair bands and shook her head, her hair waving gracefully with her movements. Videl was so beautiful with her hair down that Gohan couldn't describe her as anything other than a goddess. She crossed her arms and pulled her shirt over her head. The half-Saiyan tilted his head slightly to the side as she did so and dreamily took her in. She was still wearing her black spandex shorts with a matching sports bra, but the sight of her exposed, well-toned belly was enough to spark new feelings. She approached him and slowly lowered herself into the water.

"It's truly beautiful out here," she commented as she sat down next to him.

His eyes were still on the girl. "Not as beautiful as you," he chuckled at his own cheesy remark. His face softened, "This here means a lot to me, it's kind of my sacred place, a place with most of my scarce fond memories. I came here with my father to fish, with my little brother to play and," he lingered in her gorgeous blue eyes, "well, I hope to make some new memories with you here too." He blushed as he said that and moved his body to face her. He tucked some of her hair behind her ear and leaned over for a kiss. But before their lips met, the sky darkened as storm clouds began to block the clear blue sky. Rain came pouring down and Gohan looked up as a bolt of lightning revealed a silhouette in the sky.

"No!"

Gohan jumped out of the water and floated three feet in the air between the intruder and Videl. Another bolt of lightning showed the devilish expression of the crossed-armed figure as his upright spiky hair swayed in the rising wind.

"Vegeta, leave me alone!" he yelled at him, fear gripped his voice.

"I came here to kill you, brat," Vegeta's evil laugh echoed through the skies as he pointed his finger at him and, without much warning, he fired a powerful Ki-blast.

Gohan crossed his arms to defend himself, but before the blast hit him, Videl had thrown herself in front to protect the one she loved, hitting her right in the heart. Her limp body fell into the water and the clear surface turned red with blood.

"NO!" screamed the half-Saiyan in sheer horror as he dove after her. He pulled her body out of the water and turned her around, hoping there was still something he could do to save her. But the glimmer of hope faded when he saw a gaping hole in her chest. He looked into her now hollow eyes and cupped her face with trembling hands as tears streamed down his. "Please! Please, don't leave me! I'm begging you, don't leave me like everyone else! I need you, I need you so much," he sobbed as he pressed her limp body against his and rested his forehead on hers, "Don't leave me..."

A loud bang and another flash of light woke him up from his nightmare. His body was still trampling and his face was wet with real tears. Panting heavily, he sat up and buried his face in his big hands. Not this again! Ever since he'd said goodbye to her, she clouded his dreams, and the longer he was away from her, the darker they grew, giving him sleepless nights.

It was still dark outside, but since he couldn't sleep anymore, he'd better train. He left the cave he had sheltered for the past two weeks and walked past some old skeletal remains. Like every day, he stopped at its skull and bowed down in tribute to the very first being he'd considered a friend. He then jumped several miles and ended up on top of one of the mesas that scattered the area. Gohan had returned to Piccolo's training grounds, the grounds where his warrior life had begun and now would continue. He closed his eyes and with a powerful scream he turned to Super Saiyan, drying his wet - now golden - hair from the rain, and started his morning routine.