7 - Neighbours a show

Start from the beginning

"I told her this evening," Seth says closer behind me. A surprising feat as my brother and Leo seemed to be trying to kill him with just their glares.

"Look, let's all calm down," I say thinking my brother was being particularly judgemental when he himself was one of the scariest things I had ever seen in my life.

My dad comes out and he looks calm, which is a relief. He stands next to Ted and sighs.

"Seth?" he says, his copper moustache thick and bushy, he was shorter than Ted and Leo now but he was still pretty scary when he lost his shit.

"Yes nice to meet you, is it Mr Trenfer?" Seth asks, I glance up at him.

"To you it is," my dad says curtly.

I raise my hand to move the conversation along.

"Seth is Alice's nephew. He drove us out and then is bringing me home. It's late now if Alice and him can go home please?" I hope my tone tells them I think they are all stupid. It's still tense.

"Seth, thank you for bringing Penny home," My dad gives me a resigned look that I was trouble.

"Come on Penny let's stop giving the neighbours a show," he looks at my brother and Leo.

"Get on with your night boys she's home now," he says and I nod at Seth to say goodnight. I head in with my dad. He puts his arm around me when we gets in and smiles.

"I knew you were going to break hearts my Penny.First night out and two men worrying about you,"

"I didn't mean to involve Mr Navarro. I was with Alice," I say again and dad shakes his head.

"If you had a good time that's all I care about. I know you're a smart young woman now, I trust you," he says and gives my forehead a kiss.

"I wanted to go to bed but your mum said we would look rude when Leo arrived" I smile knowing if my dad was still laughing then I could relax.

"Now do your brother a favour and speak to Leo so we can all rest" I nod and feel my stomach swirl. Ted and Leo were still talking outside I step outside and wonder if I ever imagined I'd be talking to Leo in one day as much as I have today.

I step down and Leo gives me his attention. No anger, no suspicion in his face. Perhaps a little amusement but I can't be sure. Concentrate Penny.

"I'm sorry," I say the new future is playing in my mind, feeding me happy thoughts,  keeping my tone calm and sincere.

"Did you have fun at least?" he asks, hands in his pockets.

"Yes I did," Clouds of blue smoke filling my mind and making me feel like I've missed a step.

"Good. Now you have two options," he stands straighter I think he has closed the space between us a bit more. He breathes deep eyes on me making sure I'm listening.

"Take a job I offer you at the club, I'll make sure it's well paid and hours to fit around your course. After six months we will review your moving out of the community status,"

I waited hoping the second option was not going to have a timeline attached. I wait in silence taking in his strong jaw and deep hazel eyes, when he doesn't continue.

"Or?" I try to help.

A shiver runs down my spine as I watch one of his thick brows arch slowly as he glares. I'm trying to catch my breath without showing it.

"Or my original terms still stand, leave with someone in the community and you disclose your trip,"

I remember how to inhale air into my lungs as he finishes, those terms still allowed me to move with Seth and Alice.

"Okay thank you I will think about it," I finish and feel uneasy as he frowns at me.

"We head out for a week in the morning. We can discuss it when we are back," Straightening up his step makes us closer. My brother is talking with Mylo next to an expensive 4x4 I knew was Leo's. His inky eyes find mine.

"Despite how you feel here, you are part of our community and you will have the same protection as everyone. You may feel like we are strict, but remember if you ever need help come to us, and we will always help you," he says into my eyes. My chest tightens as his words hit my ears. It was sincere and the first time someone had made me feel welcome in a long while. My words are trapped in the revelations of this evening and the emotional rollercoaster this man in front of me had put me through made me exhausted and sad. A gnawing sensation playing at my gut if I left the way I was planning to.

"Thank you," I said when he was still standing in front of me his eyes taking me in. "My parents love it here and Ted is," I stare at him as he laughs with Mylo. " in his element," I glance back at Leo, his face blank. "I just wanted you to know that although I seem ungrateful about my part of the community I'm not. I just have no room to grow here,"  wishing I had finished earlier, feeling like an idiot. My eyes met his as he frowned at me.

"Take care of yourself Penny," He turns without another look and walks to the car. I head back inside. My body feeling heavy from today. I shower and get into bed, my hair still wet. I would sleep in tomorrow and work out what my life had become. 

---

Hope you're enjoying so far, 

Rosie x