Angels - Niam Horayne

Nialls Pov:

I felt the air whoosh out of me as my school bullies shoved me onto the floor by the lockers. I heard the loud jeers and taunts of the rest of the school body. I felt the air leave my body as I got punched and punched all over, black and blue. I gritted my teeth and refused to cry out. I wouldn't give them the satisfaction they wanted. The attention they needed.

I was luckily saved by the bell and my bullies walked away after spitting in my face and kicking my ribs for the last time. After everyone was in lesson I curled up on the ground and cried.

I was crying my eyes out. What did I do to deserve this? Oh yeah. It's because I'm gay. They seem determined to beat the gay out of me. I didn't choose to be gay. No-one should deserve this kind of attention.

I sat there for about 10 minutes mulling over my thought and my sobs quietening down. I got up and walked to the bathroom wincing with every step I took. I paused in the bathroom looking in the full length mirror. No wonder they beat me up. I was no-one special. Dyed blonde hair, braces, crooked smile, wings.

Yes, you heard me right. Wings. I unfurled my cramp wings. They were as long as the room and black and silver in colour. I was born in the linage of 'dark' angels but had been disinherited and abandoned just before a mass war broke out and all the angels died. I was the last of my kind. I was alone in a world where nobody knows who I am. I was born with jet black wings but before my parents found out I was learning to become a 'pure' angel, that was why I had silver streaks in my wings. I missed being able to fly around with other angels. I missed my old life.

I brought myself together and walked out the school. The lady in the office raised her eyebrows at me but didn't comment. Me walking out was an almost daily thing now. I walked to my special place, I walked to the only place in the world where I could be myself. I walked to the place in which I felt loved.

I walked to the meadow deep in the forest behind my house. The meadow was full of long grass and flowers, their smell calming me. The sun beat down on the grass creating shafts of light. The air was full of midges but they flew away as soon as I walked up. All animals did that to me, they knew I was not of this world. They were scared of me.

This saddened me. I was about as scary as a bunny rabbit. Just because I wasn't 'pure' doesn't mean I was bad. I lie on the warm ground and stretched my wings out beside me. I lay there listening to the ground talk to me. It was telling me its history. I smiled as I came to my favourite memory, I closed my eyes and slipped into the memory...

*MEMORY*

I was walking across the meadow running and jumping on my best friend Zayn's back. He grinned at me and I tugged his wings.

"I am so jealous of your wings" I yelled excitedly.

He looked up at me, "Yours will be like mine before no time."

Zayn's wings were of a black colour like mine but full of gold and silver streaks and they faded so the outer feathers were of a pure white-grey. I huffed and flopped on the floor. Zayn reached over and linked our hands together, This didn't mean anything we were best friends. Besides Zayn's got a loving boyfriend, Louis. He was our tutors best friend. He was a 'pure' angel and was totally in love with Zayn. Then there was Liam our tutor he was the same age as us, just a lot mature and a lot more sensible. Liam was the love of my life.

I looked over at Zayn "When do you think they'll get here?"

Zayn opened his mouth and the beating of wings distracted him.

Liam and Louis landed in the meadow before us. Jumping I ran into Liams awaiting arms. I pushed my lips against his slowly and lovingly I smiled into the kiss and hugged him.