My stomach twists with discomfort because he speaks highly of me, but he's only attracted to my looks and doesn't know who I truly am. But I can't hate him, because he has been through enough as a gladiator.

With a soft tone, I tell him, "You will find someone, one day. Someone that inspires you not just with her beauty. I really wish that for you, but I won't be that woman. I'm sorry."

He lifts his chin, acknowledging my words, and then he walks away. Hopefully, this is the last time we have this conversation.

I turn around and find the large yellow leaves that were set by the sand are piled up with fish. Vadnar is knee-deep in the water, stabbing his spear like he's on auto-pilot. The water splashes and fishes don't stand a chance against his furious stabbing. The other gladiators keep their distance as they do their own fishing, not keen on ending on the sharp end of Vadnar's spear.

I kick off my sandals and walk into the water, bunching my dress at my knees.
Vadnar sees me. He launches the spear in the air, stabbing it into the sand beside the pile of fish. Then he's stomping through the water, muttering like a madman and running a wet hand through his hair.

When he stands before me, his eyes study the background. I wonder if he's looking for Ranrok.

"Are you mad that I spoke with Ranrok?"

"You are not my slave," he grumbles.

"You can speak to whoever you want, male or female."

He's trying to be mature, but jealousy soaks his skin deeper than the salty water we're in.

"I understand that, but are you mad?"

"Can I answer these questions after having my way with you?" He asks, his voice stern.

"What?" I whisper. "But there's people on the beach!"

He shrugs. "I would have the decency to swim you out into the water first."

Oh, like that makes it better. I'm trying to ease him and all he's thinking of is making the ocean wetter with my orgasm.

"Vadnar, focus. I need to make sure we're on the same page. When I spoke to Ranrok, I was telling him to move on because I'm not interested."

"You don't have to explain yourself to me," he repeats. "But now that you made it clear to him to stay away, I have grounds to put him in the ground if he keeps bothering you." He chuckles, the sound unhinged. "And I pray to the gods he doesn't lift a hand toward you. I imagine holding a sword will be very difficult without arms."

I rub my forehead. "Are you going to ask him to leave the group?"

I don't want Ranrok to be removed. I would prefer if the group carried on in peace, because it's only a matter of time before we run into trouble. We all need protection.

"No," Vadnar replies, surprising me.

"Removing him would be cowardly, so I'll let the bastard lurk all he wans. Besides, for all of his faults, no Master deserves any more rejection. We get enough of that in society."

He said the right words in the wrong order, but I'm proud of him. Rising to my tippy toes, I embrace him, before squealing and jumping away. "You smell like fish!"

The fish don't smell like the ones on Earth do. These smell like fresh paint. The strong scent frustrates my nose.
I laugh as Vadnar clings to me tightly and rubs his face into my neck, covering me in his scent. He only releases me when he's satisfied that I'm covered.

Together, we walk to the beach.
"If we keep you in a jealous rage all day, we will never starve," I joke as I eye the pile of fish that he caught.

"I see you humans are renowned for your petty humor," he grumbles back.
The others begin to gather sticks for a fire, so I help, staying within eyeshot as Vadnar's requested.