Chapter 76 - A Trip to the Library - Part 1

Start from the beginning

He let out a sigh and stood up. He'd been squatting for too long, and his knees liked to remind him. Though he wasn't happy about it, he needed a break.

"Everything okay?"

"I need a break," Evan admitted, and Ryan was at his side in a second. Evan gave him a grateful smile and together they reached the table.

"Do you want to take a break break, or shall we go through these for now?"

Evan thought for a moment, but he was too eager to be useful to choose the first option, so he pulled the nearest book to him, and Ryan followed suit. The book they thought was the most important was left between them, and Evan thought it was a good plan to save it for last, since that way they wouldn't have to leave disappointed.

Opening the first pages, he was delighted to find the Table of Contents. There were chapters on wolves, vampires, and witches, and each had a subsection on soulmates. It sounded promising, and Evan immediately started looking for the page about Weaves. What he found, however, wasn't so promising anymore. He should have guessed that there wouldn't be much there, as the book itself was pretty thin, but he hoped to find more than two pages.

Trying to suppress his initial disappointment, Evan began to read.

"The term "Weave" refers to a profound and rare spiritual connection between two souls, most commonly observed between a witch and another being, though it can also occur between two witches or a witch and a supernatural creature. Also known as the "Essence Companion," the Weave represents a symbiotic bond that goes beyond mere emotional or physical attraction.

In this mystical connection, the Weave serves as a source of vital energy for the witch, effectively enhancing her magical powers. Analogous to the bond between vampires and their Bound, where the vampire receives sustenance through blood, the witch relies on the Weave to bolster her magical abilities. The strength of this connection directly impacts the potency of the witch's powers, rendering her more formidable as the bond deepens."

Evan stopped reading for a moment, thinking about the sentence he had just read. Did it mean that Rory was a potential source of power for his warlock? If that was true, it made it all the more incomprehensible to Evan why Alexander hadn't told him about it yet.

"The bond between the Weave and the witch goes beyond a mere exchange of energy; it extends into the realm of shared emotions, thoughts, and experiences. The connection is so deep that the partners can sense each other's presence even across great distances, and their feelings and intentions resonate with uncanny synchronicity."

Evan thought about everything Rory had told him so far, but he was sure he'd never heard of Rory hearing Alex's thoughts or being able to sense where he was.

"Something wrong?"

Evan's eyes focused again, and he realized he had unconsciously shifted his gaze to his mate, though he was lost in thought.

"It just doesn't make sense to me yet." He shook his head. "I'm beginning to doubt that Rory is really his Weave."

"Why do you think?" Ryan wanted to know more. After all, it was his theory that had started this whole hunt for the truth.

"It says here that the Weave and the warlock have a link between them that makes them able to read each other's minds and such. Rory didn't mention anything like that," he explained.

Ryan frowned for a moment as if in thought, but it only lasted a moment and it almost seemed like a light bulb went off over his head.

"Maybe they need to start a bond between them. Maybe it's different for witches."