12. son

SOTC: Hole in the Earth - Deftones

TW: nightmares, breif mentions of difficulty eating, panic attacks, guilt, major angst bcs i love hurting you all

YOU

You can't stay in the house any longer. Being inside the cold kitchen and frozen hallways makes you physically incapable of breathing. You can't handle the cold. It's too much.

You race up the stairs, tears falling down your cheeks as you duck into your room. Henry's still asleep on the bed, his features drawn in complete peacefulness. You're almost envious of him. You wish you were able to sleep without haunting memories and the sounds of screams ringing in your ears.

You scramble to get his sling from a dresser drawer next to his crib, wrapping it around you before you side-step over to Henry's crib, and pick him up gently. His eyes slowly flutter open and closed, until they settle back shut. You place him inside the sling, breath stuttering as you place a hand over your forehead. Your mind is racing a mile a minute, and you're sure your heart rate is beating at twice the velocity.

You move to the room's right corner, crouching next to an asleep Jett. "C'mon boy, we're leaving." You whisper shakily, bringing your hand down on his dark black fur, and petting him until he slowly starts to stir. His yellow eyes meet yours, and immediately there's a look of understanding in them. He can hear your shallow and quick breaths, hear the sound of your heart practically beating out of your chest.

Jett perks up from his bed, finding your side in an instant. He rubs his head against your legs, a small whine coming from the back of his throat.

You look down at him with teary eyes, shaking your head. "We have to go."

It's almost like Jett can understand your words, because he moves around you to a box of his toys and belongings, sniffing through it until he locates what he wants. He takes out his pouch, holding it between his teeth as he stares up at you.

"Good boy." You managed to choke out. "Let's go." You race to pack all of Henry's necessities into your backpack before slinging it on and clambering down the stairs to exit the home, shielding the toddler swaddled against your chest from the cold. You open the gate to the sheep corral, barely managing to close it then jog to the barn, opening the doors with unnecessary force.

The sheep in the pen bleep blearily at the sound of you arriving so late at night, some starting to shift awake because of the noise. But you don't have time to worry about them. Instead, you make your way to Tulip's stall, finding her wide awake, and staring back at you with bright, black eyes. You let out a shaky breath of relief. "Tulip—"

She steps forward in her stall, nuzzling her nose against your cheek. The action makes a few tears slip from your eyes as you close your them and press against her nose. You've never felt so alone since the days you were wandering aimlessly on the road, fighting for your life.