03. a thousand years

༒

S(s)OTC: Cherry Waves - Deftones

Do I Wanna Know? - Arctic Monkeys

Glimpse of Us - Joji

ELLIE

The thing about Ellie is that she never thinks before she speaks. Well, that and she's quick to anger. For better or worse, she's like a firecracker—explosive and indiscriminate. Yet, Ellie never thought her quick temper would get her into such a grueling situation.

When your hand had left Ellie's that Friday morning, he felt in her gut that everything she had worked so hard to gain was lost. Years of pining, stolen glances, and lingering touches finally led to more, and it had all been ripped away so easily.

Rebecca. The girl you had talked so fondly of when you were fourteen. Your best friend and the one everyone presumed was dead. Neither she nor Joel had said it, but their pasts lead them to believe the bleaker option had taken place all those years ago. But not you. Never you. In your heart, you truly believed Rebecca was alive and well. And who were Joel and Ellie to tell you otherwise?

And anyway, in the end it seemed your optimism had won again. Rebecca was
alive and in Jackson, holding you so closely and gazing at you with—

Ellie knew the moment she saw the glimmer in Rebecca's eyes that she was in love with you. The smile that spread easily onto her lips, the way she was gripping you so tightly. It was all undoubtedly love, because Ellie had been told by Dina that she wore the exact same expression when she was with you.

It was all too familiar. The looks, the want, the bond you two had. It was only a matter of time before you fell in love with Rebecca, if you weren't already.

Ellie's stomach had turned uncomfortably, and her chest tightened, a bitter feeling choking her.

Escape. Go. Ellie's mind screamed. And without a second thought, she was gone.

Ellie's brisk walk around Jackson did nothing to soothe her racing mind, or the bitter feeling in her throat. Her hands were balled into fists, then eventually she decided it was better for her to just sit down and think. Process, and go from there. No need for rash decisions.

Later, Ellie would regret not continuing her walk through Jackson or going back to her shed.

With tense posture, Ellie sat down at a bench, taking in and exhaling long and calculated breaths. It did little to soothe her beating heart, but her posture slightly relaxed.

That was all ruined when a voice from behind her called her name.

"Ellie?" Cat called, seemingly appearing from thin air.

Ellie's posture immediately stiffened again. How was she so unlucky that she would be spotted so quickly?

"What're you doing out here?" Cat sat down next to Ellie, and scooted as close to her as possible.