09. deadly

SOTC: Sextape - Deftones

SEATTLE DAY TWO: ELLIE

Loud, staticky chatter wakes Ellie up from her sleep. Her eyes slowly crack open, head tilted to her left where you had been sleeping prior. But as her mind slowly starts to unfog, she realizes you're not sleeping on the velvet seat next to hers anymore. She stares at the space, lips slowly forming a frown before she moves her head forward and sits up. Her left hand comes up to rub at the skin under her eye as she sleepily groans.

Ellie's hand moves down to her armrest as she looks behind her, hearing the chattery noise persist. She sluggishly rises from her seat, grabs her backpack, and follows the sound through the building until she reaches the projector room. The door is slightly cracked open, dim light shining on Ellie's face as she pushes the door open, eyebrows furrowing at the sound of heaving on the other side.

When she fully opens the door, she sees Dina vomiting into a trash can with you crouched down next to her, rubbing her back gently.

Dina looks up from the trash can after finishing her last heave, locking eyes with Ellie. "Hey." She mutters quietly.

You also turn to face Ellie, your expression wound up with worry as you help Dina sit down on the floor. "Els."

"Hey," Ellie answers you both back, walking closer to where you two sit on the floor. She watches you pull out a cloth from your backpack and use it to wipe the sweat from Dina's brow, then offer her a bottle of water. "When'd you get up?" She asks you.

"Not that long ago." You mumble, looking up at Ellie. "Heard the radio on and then found Dee here almost passed out."

"Looking super hot." Dina jokes.

You roll your eyes at her, taking back the water bottle as she passes it over to you.

Ellie crouches down next to you and Dina, eyes passing over the radio. "How'd you fix it?"

"It was a loose connection..." Dina pipes up. "Antenna."

Then, static filters from another source right next to the radio, grabbing Ellie's attention. "Where'd you get that?" She motions at the walkie-talkie set up next to the radio.

"Took it off one of the Wolves that came after me yesterday." You respond. "Helped me find you two."

Ellie nods, messing with her fingers absentmindedly.

"They found our mess at the school." Dina looks over at Ellie.

"Good," Ellie replies.

"Also found the bodies in the restaurant I ducked into." You add. "The runner I used as a cover made them think I escaped and they got infected."

"Smart."

"We got a lot of info from the radio and walkie-talkie. This guy... Owen." Dina picks up the polaroid picture of Abby and Owen. "He went AWOL." She drops the picture onto the map below it.