2.2

Chapter 16:
YEONI

The next day, Jinae decided to take a stroll around the local park near her house

The next day, Jinae decided to take a stroll around the local park near her house. The sun was shining, and a gentle breeze swept through the trees, bringing a sense of tranquillity to the surroundings. She approached the swings and sat on one of them, swinging lightly as she enjoyed the peaceful moment.

A little girl, around six years old, came up to her, hugging her teddy bear tightly. "Excuse me!" the girl called out in her tiny voice.

"Yeah?" Jinae replied, slowing the swing down to a stop. The girl's smile was as wide as it could be, and her innocence warmed Jinae's heart.

"Can I have a turn on the swings, please?" the girl asked politely.

"Of course!" Jinae exclaimed, her eyes lighting up. "Hop on!"

The girl giggled and hopped onto the swing. "Can you push me?" she asked, her eyes shining with excitement.

"Sure," Jinae said, smiling down at her. She got behind the swing and gently launched it into the air.

"Higher, higher!" the little girl screamed in delight.

"Okay, okay!" Jinae said, joining in the laughter. "Hang on tight!" She pushed the swing a little harder, and the girl's laughter filled the air.

"Hey, what's your name?" Jinae asked, curious about her new little friend.

"My name's Yeoni! What's yours?" Yeoni replied, her smile never fading.

"My name is Jinae. Can I ask you a question?" Jinae crouched down to Yeoni's height.

Yeoni nodded innocently. "Where are your parents?" Jinae inquired gently.

"Well, Daddy said he's gone to get milk from the shop," the child replied, hugging her teddy bear tightly.

Jinae's eyes widened slightly, concerned for the little girl. "What about your mommy?" she asked in a softer tone.

"Daddy said she's a princess up in the sky!" Yeoni exclaimed, twirling around with her arms spread wide.

"Oh... Okay!" Jinae said, trying to hide her worry. "Do you want to wait for your daddy on the bench over there?" she suggested.

Deep inside, Jinae felt a growing sense of unease. She couldn't shake off the feeling that something was wrong. It was a little girl, all alone in a big, busy city. Anyone could snatch her, and her whole life could be stripped away in an instant.

Yeoni gripped Jinae's hand tightly as they approached the bench. They sat down, looking up at the sky as it began to turn orange and pink, signalling the approaching dusk.

Jinae waited with her new friend for a little while longer, the girl's grip still firm. But as time passed, it became evident that Yeoni's father was not coming back.

Feeling the weight of the situation, Jinae cleared her throat. "Yeoni," she began gently, "I don't think your dad's coming back..."

Instantly, Yeoni's face dropped, and her eyes welled up with tears. "What do you mean? He was just going to buy me something to drink!" she protested, her voice quivering with confusion and sadness.

"I don't know, honey," Jinae said, trying to remain composed. "Come on, you can stay with me until we can find someone to look after you."

"But I only want you to look after me," Yeoni mumbled into Jinae's shoulder. The words touched Jinae's heart deeply, as no one had ever considered her as someone to love and treasure before.

"Okay," Jinae said, her voice softening with affection. "Call me unnie from now on."

"Yay! Thank you, unnie!" Yeoni squealed, dancing around in excitement before grabbing Jinae's hand again.

As they walked hand in hand out of the park, Jinae couldn't help but feel a mix of emotions. She was concerned about Yeoni's well-being and the responsibility that now rested on her shoulders. 'How am I supposed to go to work now?' she thought, her hands lightly swinging with Yeoni's, unaware of the flashy black car parked nearby.

 'How am I supposed to go to work now?' she thought, her hands lightly swinging with Yeoni's, unaware of the flashy black car parked nearby

new character alert >:) she's going to be crucial to Jaehyun and Jinae