1.12

Chapter 12:
VICTORIOUS

The engines roared as the street race entered its final lap

The engines roared as the street race entered its final lap. Jinae stood beside Jaehyun, both of them engrossed in the thrilling spectacle before them. The neon lights painted streaks of colour across the dark night as the cars sped past, leaving trails of excitement in their wake.

As the race reached its climax, Mark's car surged ahead, overtaking his competitors and crossing the finish line in a blaze of glory. The crowd erupted into cheers and applause as Mark emerged victorious. Jinae's heart swelled with pride as she clapped and cheered for her brother.

Mark parked his car and jumped out with a triumphant smile. Jinae rushed over to him, giving him a huge hug. "I knew you could do it!" she exclaimed, a mixture of joy and relief in her voice.

Mark grinned and playfully nudged her, saying, "I told you I'd win."

Jinae playfully shoved him back, laughing, "Yeah, yeah, you were right."

As they celebrated, Jinae turned to share the joy with Jaehyun, only to find that he wasn't there. She glanced around, puzzled by his sudden disappearance. However, her excitement for Mark's victory soon overshadowed her concern.

Jaehyun approached Mark with a wad of cash in hand, ready to present him with the prize money. But as he came closer, he noticed Jinae standing next to Mark, and his confident stride faltered. A look of surprise crossed his face.

"How do you two know each other?" Jaehyun asked, curiosity evident in his voice.

Jinae smiled and replied, "He's my brother, the one I mentioned the other day."

Jaehyun cursed himself inwardly, feeling foolish for not recognizing the connection between them earlier. "Ah, I see," he said, trying to hide his embarrassment. "I never caught on that this Mark was your brother since you don't look alike at all."

Jinae playfully hit him on the arm, "Yeah, we get that a lot, it's quite annoying really."

As the trio chatted, Jinae turned to Mark and said, "Ready to head home?"

Mark nodded eagerly, but before they could leave, Jaehyun interrupted, "Wait, don't you want to celebrate your win? There's a party going on for you; you should enjoy it."

Jinae and Mark exchanged glances, considering the invitation. "I mean, we could stay for a bit," Mark said, looking at Jinae for her approval.

Jinae hesitated for a moment but then smiled, "Sure, why not? Let's celebrate!"

The three of them joined the festivities, revelling in the high spirits of the crowd. Jinae and Mark danced, laughed, and became friends with the other racers. Jaehyun stayed close, enjoying the lively atmosphere but also keeping a watchful eye on Jinae to make sure nothing happened to her as it did quite a while ago.

As the night wore on, Jinae couldn't shake off the undeniable chemistry and connection between her and Jaehyun. Even though they did kiss, it was never anything exclusive.

Amidst the celebration, Jaehyun pulled Jinae aside, away from the crowd. "I have to admit something," he said, looking earnestly into her eyes. Jinae's heart started to beat loudly, "I like you a lot. I mean a lot and I was wondering if you'd like to be my girlfriend?"

Jinae felt her heart race, the intensity of his gaze leaving her breathless. "I like you too," she replied, her voice barely audible above the music.

Before they could act on their feelings further, Mark appeared, breaking the moment. "Hey, you two! The party's not over yet!" he said with a playful grin.

Jinae laughed, feeling a mixture of annoyance and happiness. "Yeah, you're right," she replied, looking back at Jaehyun in a new light.

 "Yeah, you're right," she replied, looking back at Jaehyun in a new light