I didn't know what she was about to say, but I know Meredith isn't comfortable enough for my mom to read her mind. Of course, mom doesn't listen.

"Are you okay honey?" My mom asks Meredith.

"Yes, Ms. Garner. I'm fine." Meredith replies.

"You know I can get you some crackers and ginger ale." Mom whispers under her breath.

"Mom." I huff back as the rest of the table talks loud around us.

"How do you know?" Meredith asks my mom.

"Well honey you keep rubbing your stomach and you're holding your breath whenever the waitress walks by with food. I can tell you're nauseous."

"Meredith, I am so sorry. She doesn't know how to...." I tried to think of another phrase besides mind her business. I'd never hear the end of it if I said that.

"She's fine Kassandra. We plan on telling everyone tonight. After our victory of course." Meredith smiles then removes herself from the table. Mr. Henderson follows her to the back of the restaurant.

'What's wrong?" Steven kisses my hand.

"Nothing, just your mother-in-law making people feel awkward." I smiled as Steven kissed my forehead.

We walked back into court after our two hour recess.

"All rise." The bailiff says as the judge walks in and sits down.

"You may be seated."

"Child and family court is the most difficult. The main goal has to be the well-being of the child or in this case children. Mrs. Josephine Henderson, I understand you want a healthy relationship with your grandchildren. Grandparents are a vital part of growing up. Mr. & Mrs. Steven Henderson, I know the main priority of a parent is to protect their children. This case isn't as simple as it seems."

My heart immediately stopped. I know he was not going to grant her any type of visitation. My head started spinning. I couldn't hear a word he said until Steven gripped my arm bringing me back to reality.

"With that said, Josephine I'm not able to grant you visitation with one-year old Kyla or six-month old Sebastian until your mental health issues are managed."

Josephine's face dropped at the judges word. I wanted to jump up and down, but I maintained my composure. Steven blanketed me in his warmness, constantly kissing my lips. We walked out the courtroom elated.

My mom, Moriah, Meredith and Mr. Henderson accompanied us to our house. We planned on celebrating all night. Mr. Henderson also  wanted to visit Kyla and Sebastian.

Moriah opened a bottle of red wine while my mom made margaritas. We all gathered around the living room as Moriah poured shots. Even Laura picked up a shot glass.

"Here's to my sweet grand babies not being subjected to a hateful old witch." Mom's words caused laughter. We all threw our shots back.

"One more!" Moriah yelled. My sister will forever be a bottle girl. 

"No, I'm good. I can't be drunk with two babies." I replied.

"You get as drunk as you like." Steven said with a devilish grin. "Meredith you aren't drinking tonight?" Steven asks.

Mr. Henderson interjects. "We have news."

I felt Steven's entire body lock up as he draped his arms around my neck. All eyes were on Mr. Henderson.

"Meredith, is pregnant." The room went quiet, every noise other than Sebastian's coos abruptly stopped.

"Congratulations." My mom broke the ice. Moriah and I followed her lead. I hugged Meredith and Mr. Henderson. Steven threw back another drink then left the room. I rushed towards him.

"Steven, you should be happy for your father."

"I am Kassie. What should I say?"

"A simple congratulations goes a long way. You can't control your dad's life." I closed the room door behind me. 

"Why would he want another child? He wasn't there for me. Now he wants a second chance to get it right." Steven's emotions were getting the best of him.

"Baby, your dad loves you." I kissed him. "Yes, this child will have a different life, but we live and we learn." I placed my right hand on his cheek. His body relaxed.

"Kassandra, he'd go days without acknowledging my presence. He was sloppy drunk at my high school graduation and didn't bother leaving the house when I earned my bachelors or masters degree."

"What you're feeling is understandable. He wasn't a great father to you, but he can be now. It's his second chance." My husband's sorrows went through my body as he laid his head in the crook of my neck.

Steven had everything he needed for growing up, but not the things he wanted. He always spoke about his childhood and wished that his dad loved him or at least acted like he cared. Money isn't a substitute for your presence. Josephine put her whole life into raising Steven which turned into strict control until he left for college.

I ran my hands up and down his back attempting to calm his feelings. I pressed my head against his chest listening to his heartbeat waiting for it to settle.

"You broke the cycle." I spoke trying to breathe life back into my sweet husband. "Look at Kyla and Sebastian, you've been there every step of the way before their birth to now. They love you. I'm so thankful that you're the father of my children."

A soft knock went across the door. "Give us a minute." I replied.

"Can I talk to Steven?" Mr. Henderson's distressed voice let out every emotion he felt.

I looked into Steven's eyes and he shook his head yes. "Okay." I walked towards the door, opening it for Mr. Henderson. I gave him a weak smile then walked to the kitchen.

The living room was a drastic change. Moriah danced around with Sebastian on her hip making him giggle. Kyla sat next to my mom eating a popsicle. Laura sang Como la Flor by Selena on my karaoke machine. There was an entire party going on out here while a serious conversation took place in Steven and I's room.

My body was singing with my precious Kyky, but my mind and heart were with my husband who needed all the love and support he could get. 

Thanks for reading!

I apologize for any mistakes 💜