Chapter 1

I dreamed of you today

I dreamed of you today. When I reached for you, you faded away. The day I lost you something  important in me died. Any hope of reaching my true potential diminished. How could I be me without you?

The sound of my feet on the marble floor must've woken Steven up.

"Can't sleep tonight honey?" He shares a simple smile.

"No, not tonight. I'm tired, but my body won't let me rest." I drink the bottle of water I took from the refrigerator.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" He moves closer to me, kissing my shoulder.

"I don't think so, get some sleep, babe. I'll be up in a minute." I replied. He turns to walk away.

How could I possibly tell my husband that another man is on my mind. What would he think? What would he say?

         6 years prior         

Steven and I met my freshman year of college. The first day I laid eyes on him, I knew he was for me. He stood by the bar drinking with one of his friends.

"Go talk to him." My best friend pushed me towards the bar.

"What would I say?" I'd never stepped to a man. They usually come to me.

"Don't say anything, just keep staring  at him being a scaredy cat." She laughed.

"I'm a lot of things but afraid isn't one of them." I took a deep breath and walked towards the bar. I lightly brushed him reaching for a napkin.

"Yellow wristband huh?" He stated as he observed the fact that I was under 21 and could not legally drink.

"Unfortunately, but I have plans tomorrow. So even if I could, I wouldn't be drinking." I smiled, placing my hand on his shirt pocket. Then I turned away.

He had to be stunned because when I began walking back to Raven, he grabbed my wrist.

"You're quite lovely. Do you know that?" I'd never been called lovely before. It made me blush.

"I'm Steven and you are? I mean besides gorgeous?"

"Kassandra and flattery does not charge these batteries. I do appreciate your kind words." I slowly slipped my hand from his.

"Wait, wait, wait. You walked over here for a reason." He was reading me like a book.

"Yes, to get a napkin." I replied quickly.

"There are four different napkin holders and all were available except the one in front of me. So try that again."

Is this man a part time genius?

"Okay, you're really handsome and my friend said I was too afraid to talk to you."

"So you came over here to prove a point?" He took slow sips of his drink.