Chapter 5

"What do you think the problem is, Steve?" Christian said, picking up his golf club

"Our relationship was perfect. When we began discussing children she got cold feet. Two months after that she was ready to try. The pregnancy was hard on her physically so she leaned on me for everything. Kassie depending on me to meet her every need was a bit of an ego boost. Now that Kyla is born she's mentally unavailable. It's like she doesn't want me around at all." I swung my golf club letting off some steam.

"Honestly, did you think dating a nineteen year old would lead to marriage?" Christian replied.

"No, but Kassie was different. She is different." I looked for any sign that she wasn't ready for a serious relationship, but I didn't find one.

"Maybe Kassie realized she's in over her head." Christian remarked. He was against Kassie and I dating from the start. Our age difference was his first complaint, but Kassandra at nineteen was more mature than he was at thirty-one. He didn't shy away from constantly remarking on her beauty, but somehow she wasn't worthy of being in a relationship with me.

He turned and stared at me. I knew where this conversation was heading.

"That's not an option. We have Kyla to think about and I don't believe in divorce." I watched Christian swing and miss. He's almost drunk so I'm not surprised.

"So you're going to force her to be with you?" He said looking back at me as if I caused him to miss.

"Let's just golf." I placed my caddy in the back of the golf cart.

"You brought it up. I prefer to play golf in silence." He replied, carefully placing his golf ball on the tee.

"Crying over Lily threatening to leave you isn't silence." I said. Christian's first hobby is giving advice he doesn't take.

"I would've lost everything."

"Christian you slept with your kids' babysitter. She should've left you."

We grew up together, but our method of thinking is completely different. Christian was over par so he lost as usual. We sat at the bar.

"Can we get two whiskeys?" Christian ordered. My dad's an alcoholic, I've seen the effects of that so alcohol isn't appealing to me. "She's cute." Christian whispered when the bartender walked away.

"You enjoy crying on the golf course don't you."

"Maybe if you had someone on the side Kassie's feelings wouldn't matter so much." He laughed, taking his drink from the bartender's hand.

"Funny huh? You know what would be hilarious? If I called Lily and told her you're about to hit on the bartender." I said loud enough for the brunette behind the bar to hear.

The air between us was thick until Christian spoke. "Well, I'll see you next Wednesday."

"Definitely." I downed the remainder of my whiskey.