Chapter 26

A MONTH LATER 

"Don't even think about it

"Don't even think about it." Steven's attempts to reduce my worries didn't work.

"I'm trying not to, but courts aren't always fair." Our hearing is in one hour. "I can't even. This whole ordeal should be over."

Our court date had been rescheduled by Josephine's lawyers. I wanted to have all this behind us by now.

"We have the best lawyers in the United States. Meredith and George have worked hard, trust their work." Steven reached to hug me, but I stepped back. 

"I'm sweating. I'm nervous." I fanned my body. 

"Kassandra, hug me." I wrapped my arms around him.

My family arrived last night. My mom and Moriah insisted on attending the court hearing. Laura is baby-sitting so Kyla and Sebastian won't be in the courtroom. Josephine doesn't deserve to lay one eye on my children. Steven and I separated when a hard knock went across the door.

"What Moriah?" I knew it was her because she's so rough.

"If y'all aren't doing the nasty can ya'll come out."

"Give me two minutes. I'm getting dressed." I rolled my eyes. Steven slapped my ass making me moan.

"Ewww." Moriah said through the door. I turned and looked at Steven.

"Can you stop?" I snapped at him. I didn't feel like playing. I could hardly smile.

I followed my husband out the door.

"Are you two ready?" My mom questioned.

"Yes, we are." Steven replied before I could say anything. My husband laced his fingers with mine planting a single kiss on my lips.

The ride to court was completely  silent. The heaviness of the air suffocated me making any word I'd dare speak unimportant. Steven and I walked hand in hand waiting for our case number to be called. Josephine cowardly sat in her seat as she saw my mom and sister walk in behind us. Meredith and Mr. Henderson were waiting on the left side of the courtroom. While George stood at the bench discussing the matter with the judge.

For the better part of three hours our attorneys went back and forth with Josephine's lawyer. Every piece of information was introduced from the racist emails and hateful texts she sent me when Steven didn't talk to her for over a year. The issue of my mom's fight with her. This woman even had my Instagram stories that reminded me to never use social media again.

After hearing from each side the judge went to his chamber to make a ruling for our case. We drove to a Mexican restaurant about ten minutes from the court house.

My mom apologized and prayed. I let her know that she hadn't done anything wrong. She's always protected me and I'm grateful for that. Meredith sat between my mom and I as we ate and talked. I saw my mom's eyes shifting as I shook my head no.