19

KEREM

I can't concentrate, my head is on the conversation I just had after lunch with Juliet.

How dare she talk about Zara? She didn't mention her name, but it was clear she was referring to her. I could never have foreseen such a level of audacity from her or from anyone else. Maybe what she told me is true and lately I am losing control of myself, which entails losing control of others as well. This is already too complicated. I feel enraged, upset, with enormous disgust. She can't get to me in this way. It is not fair to me or to Ali or to anyone, it really has me with anger that it is no longer feasible to continue giving it importance.

"Dude."

His voice is barely audible.

"Dude, wake up."

And I realize my surroundings. It's Elijah who just spoke to me, causing something to shake in the capsule that makes me impervious to the world around me. A lot of businessmen are clapping ahead, I think it's the third exhibition. I narrow my eyes and discover that it is Antonio who is presenting, the boy with the company based on cutting-edge technology that mattered most to me.

Not only did he know how to choose the woman to marry, staying with her former father-in-law as his main investor, but his numbers have shown that he has worked assiduously with very good results.

And I have spoiled everything because I have missed his presentation, preparing for this for so long, trying to study about the investment subject that is necessary to be able to enter, now everyone will have discovered him and I will have been a step behind.

"Did you even hear anything?"

I blink and nod.

"Everyting Necessary."

"What world were you in?"

"Just...Thinking about important things."

"This is what's important! They mean millions of dollars that could go down the drain if we don't do it right."

"Did you hear anything?"

"Of course I also asked about key points, but I was waiting for you to be the one who can give it the best angle. You have talent for that."

"Well, I can not."

I do not want to.

I do not owe.

Right now my head is a battle of things that try to know which of the two will be the one that will gain ground in the midst of a chaos of feelings, emotions and stupid ideas that should never have existed if it is what I expected for myself, for my future , for a reality that I no longer feel like to tolerate.

"Are you going to tell me once and for all what's going on with Juliet?"

"What do I have to tell you? What is supposed to happen to her?"

"I don't know, the one who took her to the room was you. Do you know that they can report you for harassment and abuse of authority for that?"

"What kind of lawyer are you?"

"I'm not a lawyer."

"That's why, forget about those things, will you?"

"I don't feel like thinking about her, please. But if you make an effort to make it seem necessary, it might be a better idea not to be here."

I look at him, surprised.

I don't agree at all with what just happened. Nor does it seem appropriate to me that he tries to refer to my life itself and the context with the threat that we should not have come to this place.

"Of course it is."

"Then focus."

"Yes Elijah.

"And then you and I are going to talk. After the party."

"What party are you talking about?"

"Tonight there is a party in a club, it is organized with the entrepreneurs." The same people who made us lunch also have another treat that doesn't interest me at all.

"I'm not up for parties, Elijah," I assure him.

There is a mid-afternoon recess now. It is close to dusk and as we get up from our places, we are offered snacks with and without alcohol. Outside, the horizon is marked with a line surrounding edges that go from orange to pink, passing through various yellows that are shaded by the coast and by the tall buildings that mark the limit with the sky in front of our eyes.

"Thank you," he says to the waitress who offers us a drink.

I have had one of Whiskey and I drink it in one gulp. He holds up a champagne glass and looks at me as that familiar liquid trickles down my throat.

Unfortunately it happens to me as fuel.

It's disgusting.

"This isn't Bourbon," I assure, setting the glass down on a nearby counter. "Ugh, it's awful. I have a bad taste in my mouth."

"You can't tell you didn't like it, you drank it like a shot."

"There was no other."

"I think distracting yourself a bit would do you good for tonight."

"Forget it."

"What a pity. Because Juliet is now with Ali while Thammy takes a nap since she has the night shift."

"What are you talking about, Elijah?"

Damn, I was trying not to think about her and it has done nothing but bring her back to my thoughts.

"I'm talking about...yes. She's going."

"You're kidding? Juliet has come for work!"

"She's free at night."

"To rest because she has to work in the morning."

"Why?"

"And she can't go with you."

"Is the problem going with me or just going to the party?"

"The problem is that she is not a businesswoman or entrepreneur, she must adjust to the role she assumed when she came here!"

"Are you going to tell me at some point what your problem is with that girl?"

"I have no problem with her, period. Hey, bring me another one." I point to another waiter passing by.

And I drink it at once.

"Is that good on an empty stomach?"

"It doesn't do any good at all and that's the point."

Elijah sighs.

"I invited her. She's going with me," he insists.

I look at him furiously.

"I already said no."

"I said yes."

"Are you seriously going to do this, Elijah? Are you going to go with the employee who takes care of my son's language training?"

"Well, if you don't want us to be alone and you prefer to keep her under control..."

"Of course I have to keep her under control! I'm her boss!"
"Then come to the party. I see you've already started to get in tune with the drink."

"I drink whenever I feel like it."

"So, what do you say? Will you join me with Juliet to the club tonight?"