The instructor narrowed her laser beam eyes on me, the only head in a sea of them that weren't hovered over a desk, working fervently. "Girl that was late. Is there a problem?"

I shrugged helplessly. In a meek voice, I managed to stammer out the words, "I'm sorry but I overslept and completely overlooked packing my bookbag. I didn't bring anything with me."

She leaned one bony hip against the podium, loudly sighing while taking off her glasses and pinching the bridge of her nose. "Miss, this sort of careless behavior may have been allowed to pass at your high school, but this is college now and we don't do the whole hand-holding thing with a bunch of grown adults."

A few snickers echoed throughout the classroom, and I slid even further down into my seat, praying that a Genie would appear and grant me the wish of disappearing. "It seems that you simply aren't ready to begin class today so why don't you leave and come back when you are more prepared and not a disruption to your fellow students that have chosen to learn."

I nodded my head, trying to choke back the burning tears. "I'm sorry," I muttered shakily.

She crossed her arms over her tweed blazer. "No need to apologize to me. I get paid whether you are present or not. It's your education that you're refusing to take seriously." More chuckles.

"But I am..." I trailed off, realizing that there was no point in arguing with someone that had already made a snap judgment about me. Pushing myself away from the desk, I started my blind descent down the stairs. Just as I reached the bottom, I stumbled on the last step and threw out my palm on the nearest desk to steady myself. As I knocked the pencil out of the hand of the student that was sitting there, she shot me a nasty glare. "What's good with you girl?"

I didn't even bother to apologize, willing myself to at least make it out of the room before allowing the flood of tears that were threatening to spill out to break free. No sooner had the door shut behind me, did I break down into heaving sobs. My shoulders shuddered as I stepped out into the now pouring rain.

I hate this place. I abhor the stupid dorms that feel like jail cells. I despise annoying roommates that think they know it all. I detest the campus that's about as enormous and maze-like as a small town. I loathe the stuck-up students that believe themselves superior just because they are in college. And I can't stand snotty teachers that belittle me.

The downpour died down into a small drizzle as I reached my building and I laughed bitterly at the sun. "Of course," I muttered, reaching into my pocket for my key. My blood went ice cold upon realizing that I was a complete dummy and had left it behind on my bedside table.

Pounding nonstop on the door, I shouted Quinn's name, but she didn't answer. Is this real life? She's probably already left for the day. With nothing else left to do except curse the day I ever decided to go to college at NYU, I slumped against the door until I was a frumpy lump of a ball sprawled out on the floor.

I covered my face with my hands, letting the tears pour freely now. It could have been fifteen minutes, or it could have been an hour that I stayed that way, but I refused to move, not even when the sound of footsteps approached. What do I care? I've already been laughed out of a classroom today. What's one more snicker?

As the person neared, the noise subsided, and I realized that they had stopped in front of me. "Oh, come on," I spat out. "You've lived enough life by now to the point that a person having a mental breakdown should no longer be a spectacle to you."

Raising my head, I came face to face with a male crouched beside me. He ran his fingers through his beachy brown, spiked hair, concern etched into his light green eyes. My breath momentarily hitched in my throat as our gazes locked. "All I'm curious about is if you are going to be alright," he questioned.

I shrugged before breaking down into more sobs. "I'm...I'm locked out," I wailed.

He chuckled softly to himself, and I wanted to sock him. "I'm sorry," he quickly apologized, "I don't mean to laugh at you. Freshman, right?"

I nodded. "Yes, and I'm learning that we have quite the negative reputation."

He smiled knowingly. "I thought so. I was constantly getting locked out when I was new here too." He looked at me sheepishly. "Still do, honestly. However, I learned about a little something called an RA and it's been a total lifesaver. Now whenever I forget my key, I just go bug them to let me back in."

"RA?" I asked, wiping the tear stains from my cheeks and hoping that I didn't look too much of a wreck.

"Resident Assistant" He filled in. "They live here in the dorms and help with things such as providing information about the campus or mediating problems between roommates. Sometimes, they host floor events or sometimes they enforce policies, depending on the mood they're in." He laughed and the sound did wonder to lift my spirits.

"I see." I peeled myself off the floor, brushing my hands on my sweatpants. "And ours would be...where?"

He pointed towards the end of the hallway. "There. Her name's Kelly. I'll introduce you. She'll get in touch with maintenance and have you back inside your room in no time."

I followed him in the direction of her room. "I'm Ryan by the way," he added, extending his hand outwards for me to shake. "If you ever need anything, I'm in 212. We have Oreos stocked at all times."

"Vanessa," I responded. "Room...well, I think you've already figured that one out. I have no snacks either."

Ryan gave a swift rap upon Kelly's door and as we waited for her to answer, he clasped me on the shoulder. "Hang in there, Vanessa," he encouraged, looking me in the eye with a sincere expression on his face. "It will get better. I promise."

I smiled at him gratefully. Perhaps, there are some nice people on campus after all.