Chapter 59 - Calm Before the Storm

Start from the beginning

Though Gwenhwyfar had once been her enemy, Viviane couldn't find anything to say in the face of the princess' words and the fiery resolve that burned in her eyes. The princess may have lost on the battlefield of love, but she fell gracefully and her love remained unquenched.

"...Thank you, Your Imperial Highness."

"It is only a small step on the stairway to atonement, Lady Viviane."

Viviane couldn't help but shake her head in amazement. She wasn't sure how the princess could even possess such powerful resolve. She had been a brat, a domineering thief, a charismatic speaker, and now a repentant noblewoman. But despite all the strange facets of her personality, Viviane somehow respected the woman who stood in front of her right now.

Of course, she could never truly forgive Gwenhwyfar for hurting Medrauta so greatly both physically and emotionally, but she could at least understand the princess' desire to make amends and respect her determination to do so.

"...I will watch as you strive to mend the wounds that you have opened, and perhaps one day, they may fade into long-forgotten scars."

Gwenhwyfar curtsied in response. "That is more than I can hope for."

Viviane returned the curtsy, but as she moved to leave, the princess called out once more.

"Ah, there is one more thing, Lady Viviane."

"Hm?"

"If I may be so bold to ask a favor of you, would it be alright if you called me Gwenhwyfar...?"

Viviane smiled, an expression so captivating and breathtaking that it made Gwenhwyfar fully understand just what exactly Medrauta had fallen for.

"Of course, Lady Gwenhwyfar."

                                                                      †

With Viviane and Medrauta returning to their duties at the tea house, the two nobles that Gwenhwyfar had managed to wrangle from a nearby booth were freed from their impromptu obligations. Much to Viviane and Medrauta's surprise, they had actually been slightly disappointed as it seemed that Sakura was quite popular with the students.

The foreigner possessed an elegant sort of mystique that enchanted those who glanced her way, but her refined bearing made her seem aloof and hard to approach. Since obtaining permission to travel outside the empire was quite difficult, many of the students that the princess had previously brought over were rather eager to help out for a chance to speak with Sakura.

This realization had made Sakura rather self-conscious. She was used to people hiding their emotions and desires back home, but the students that she'd met were quite vocal about wanting to know her and the culture of her country better once the ice was broken, causing Sakura to become greatly flustered after realizing just how popular she was.

Despite it all, Sakura had managed to grow accustomed to her popularity over the week, and the tea house's final service concluded without anyone even realizing. Before the group knew it, the sun had begun to set, dyeing the empire in its warm ochre hue.

"Whew!" Sakura exclaimed. Contrary to her usual ladylike grace and poise, she was sprawled against the tea house's floor. "For something that we came up with on the last day before the festival started, this went pretty well, didn't it?"

"Indeed," Viviane grinned. "I only wish Medrauta and I had been here to help more often. I would've liked to practice the brewing technique a bit more."

"I'm surprised you can even say that, Viviane." Medrauta remarked. Just like Sakura, she laid on the ground as well. "That was exhausting. No clue how you all managed to run this thing every day for the whole week, honestly."