EIGHT: Distant

A few days had passed since the incident with Lee Know, and in those days, they didn't talk at all.

While he was heartbroken, Changbin decided to man up and work on his other cases and try to contribute to the Oyster case. Between all of them, the leads they had acquired were proved false- the case was beginning to enter a race against time, as the Council told them that they would soon mark the case as unsolved within the next week.

There had to be something they were missing, something that didn't add up and that was under their noses, so close yet so far.
Yet they just couldn't figure it out, no matter how many people they spoke to.

On a damp and rainy Sunday morning, Changbin was sitting in his room at his desk, the curtains closed.
The sound of rainfall pattering against the windows was the only thing heard, apart from Changbin scribbling words on his holo papers with a stencil.
He looked between pieces of evidence, his own writing, and the pictures on his desk, before he let out a frustrated groan.

He put down his stencil and slumped back into his chair, throwing his head back in more frustration.
He went to put his stuff away before he suddenly set his eyes upon the flower sitting on the desk, unused.
Chaewon's flower.
Changbin bit his lip, fidgeting with his fingers for a moment before he took the flower into his hands, letting out a breath.

"Do not focus on the bad, but focus on the good. Bad things happened, but good things came out of those events. Everything has a silver lining. Imagine yourself in a field, vast and lush. You're with someone you hold dear, and they were a product of this outcome."

He recalled Chaewon's words, closing his eyes and letting the power overtake him.

He viewed the field in his mind again, smiling to himself as the image of Lee Know was no longer there, but it was now his family, and his friends.
"Hey, Changbin! Don't keep me waiting!" his sister called as the wind began to blow.
"Hah, I'm coming." Changbin walked towards them, one of his friends slinging his arm around his shoulders.

"Man, I haven't seen you in ages. You keep yourself busy."
"Of course, being an officer isn't easy." Changbin said as they all began to walk.
"Aigoo, my son has been taking care of himself well~" his mother smiled.
"Take care of your mind, son." his dad said.
"Of course, of course." Changbin nodded.

"Changbin." a voice called.
Changbin whipped his head up, Kazuhka smiling at him from a distance.
"Zuha?" Changbin called.
"Changbin, you're trying to find peace within yourself."
"Huh?"

Kazuha walked up to him, holding his shoulder.
"You're trying to erase him, but that can't happen. You know deep inside that you cannot erase him again, for he will always be in the back of your mind. You found him again for a reason."
"You aren't making sense, Kazuha."
"It will make sense soon."

Changbin gasped as he was pulled out of the dreamscape, panting slightly.
His eyes darted around as he regained his senses, his hands shaking as he placed down the flower into its original spot.
He sighed as he kept his elbows on the table, raking his fingers through his hair as he squeezed his eyes shut.
He needed to get some air.

--

With an umbrella in one hand and a box in another, Changbin walked down the street, not bothering to take his flying car to his destination.
He savored the sights of the city before he ended up at a purple building labelled 'FEARLESS DANCE STUDIO'. He walked into the studio, the entry area small but aesthetically pleasing. He bowed and greeted the woman at the desk, who bowed back. Changbin closed his umbrella.

"Looking for Kazuha?" she asked.
"Yeah."
"She's in her normal spot."
"Thanks."

Changbin wasn't part of this studio, but thanks to Kazuha's popularity and them being best friends, he had a free pass to see her whenever.
He went down a hall until he reached a door, hearing music coming from the other side.
He peeked through the glass on the door, seeing a group of girls.
Some were dancing, some were taking breaks on the benches, and some were resting on the floor.
Changbin spotted Kazuha at the bars in a black shirt and ballet shoes, her dress a seafoam green and wavy.