Chapter Fourteen

"So, let's say we agree to this thing. How long is it gonna be before they LoJack us like a bunch of common criminals?"

"117 countries want to sign this. 117, Sam, and you're just like, no, that's cool-" Rhodey got cut off for the fifteenth time this minute and Alex dragged a hand down her face.

"How long are you going to play both sides?"

"I have an equation."

"Vis, now is not a good time." Alex tried to shut Vision down before he caused an even bigger fight, but she got ignored.

"In the eight years since Mr. Stark announced himself as Iron Man, the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially. During the same period, the number of potentially world-ending events has risen at a commensurate rate."

"Are you saying it's our fault?" Steve looked up from where he was reading the accords.

Vision hesitated before answering him. "I'm saying there may be a causality. Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict. And conflict breeds catastrophe. Oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand."

"Tony, you are being uncharacteristically non-hyperverbal."

"It's because he's already made up his mind."

"Boy, you know me so well." Tony stood up from his chair, stepping a few feet closer to the kitchen. "Actually, I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache. That's what going on, Cap. It's just pain. It's discomfort. Who's putting coffee grounds in the disposal? Am I running a bed and breakfast for a biker gang?"

Tony took his phone out of his pocket, placing it on the counter where it projected a screen. A picture of a college student, probably only five or six years younger than Alex appeared.

"Oh, that's Charles Spencer, by the way. He's a great kid. Computer engineering degree, 3.6 GPA, had a floor-level gig at Intel planned for the fall. But first, he wanted to put a few miles on his soul before he parked it behind a desk. See that world. Maybe be of service.

"Charlie didn't want to go to Vegas or Fort Lauderdale, which is what I would do. He didn't go to Paris or Amsterdam, which sounds fun. He decided to spend his summer building sustainable housing for the poor. Guess where. Sokovia.

"He wanted to make a difference, I suppose. We won't know because we dropped a building on him while we were kicking ass." Tony took a sip of his coffee before walking back to where he was originally sitting. "There's no decision-making process here. We need to be put in check! Whatever form that takes, I'm game. If we can't accept limitations, if we're boundary-less, we're no better than the bad guys."

"Tony, if someone dies on your watch, you don't give up."

"Who said we're giving up?" Alex finally spoke. She knew where she stood this whole time but she didn't want to be torn apart from her family over it. "We save lives, but if we do something even a little bit wrong we could end them."

"Are you talking about me?" Wanda's voice sounded small among everyone else's and it made Alex want to run up to her and hug her.

"No, I-"

"Yes, she is." Alex's eyes widened as her head snapped towards Tony. What was he doing? "She was hurt, she almost died, and it was your fault because you lost control. We can't have people losing control like that all the time."

Tears pricked Wanda's eyes as she nodded, standing up without another word. She left the room while Alex got up, attempting to chase after her. The door to the room shut in her face, successfully stopping her from continuing.

Alex turned around, her anger getting the best of her as she marched up to Tony. "What the hell was that, Stark? Are you trying to cause problems?"

"I'm trying to protect you from being hurt by her again."

Alex was going to say something back to him but she beat herself to it. A string of pain coursed through her body as an electric blue fire shot out of herself, hitting Tony in the chest. He fell backward, gasping as he felt his body burn.

Alex took multiple steps backward, her eyes widening at the sight of Tony on the floor. The other Avengers rushed to his side, making sure he was okay before helping him stand up.

Tony pointed a finger at Alex. "How did you do that?"

"I don't know- oh my god I'm so sorry, Tony, I didn't mean to do that. Oh my god." Alex placed a hand over her mouth as she felt her breathing hitch.

Alex stepped backward again, her hand connected with the door handle. She continued walking back, not listening to the sound of her name being called by the other Avengers. She took off sprinting, not knowing where she was going until she ended up in front of her and Wanda's room.

Her door was open and Wanda was sitting on the bed, staring at the tv. It played a news coverage talking about Wanda and what happened in Lagos.

Wanda looked up at Alex as she heard her footsteps. Her face was wet like she had been crying. "What do you want?"

Alex walked over to her, taking the remote from her hands, and switching off the tv. "Don't watch that shit, it's all fake."

"No, turn it back on. They were being very specific." Wanda looked at Alex, shaking her head as more tears filled her eyes. "You think I'm a monster."

"I didn't say that, Wanda."

"No, you did. You think it's my fault." Wanda put a finger on Alex's chest and she stepped back, flinching from the pain. "I hurt you and you won't be honest with me."

Alex tried to move closer to Wanda again, but her legs wouldn't move. "Wanda, what are you doing?"

"You should leave."

Alex yelled Wanda's name, but she got ignored as she was forced backward. The door shut in her face again and Alex rested her head on it. "Please, Wanda."

"I think we should break up."