21 - The Prophecy of the Serpent

Depuis le début

"A few months should be enough time, but your concern is appreciated. Please stretch the food supply for as long as you can. We are only low on food supplies because the last group arrived unexpectedly and was much larger than any other– the timing was less than ideal." Koukou shifted farther onto her side, the silk falling from the back of the throne and onto her. "Spirit orb production has already been increased, it should not take long to see the results. That is our highest priority."

"As for the water supply," Koukou shifted again, as if in discomfort, "Mizuki did find a Hollow of suitable skill to aid Madorean during one of his excursions, however, she refused to join. While we look for another, there are a few newcomers with less-suitable powers he is teaching to fill in the gaps."

"Are those all of the concerns? Or is there more that needs to be addressed?"

The two hollows standing in the walkway looked at eachother, uncertain, but a glint of fear sprung in the many eyes of Ilfeen as she knelt and looked up to Koukou, like a sinner begging for help from a mighty god.

"There have been rumors of strange Shinigami in the trade district. I mean, in addition to the first ones from last month. None of the guards say they saw or sensed anything, but we're terrified! I know the number of active guards has increased since last time, but isn't there more that can be done?" It was a perspective echoed behind Nitaal's skull-like mask just the same, a talon scratched the side of his head in nervousness.

This was the most difficult task for Koukou to answer. They had already increased the guards in the trade district to the maximum capacity. Stationing more guards amongst the traders would require pulling them from either the post at the top of Tower Vare or from the front gate, and could open up more security risks than it would mitigate. All for unsubstantiated rumors.

Even she did not sense the reported Shinigami's spiritual pressure despite the web of reiatsu she'd woven amongst the many lights. To mask the shadow cast by one's own reiatsu within the labyrinth of golden energy would require exceptional skill or special technology. Technology that was not beyond comprehension, and there was little reason to doubt the claims of her citizens.

"It may be necessary to seal off one of the entrances to Bosque Santuario and re-station those guards until this matter is settled. Did anyone see the Shinigami?"

"I think," The two Hollows looked at each other, "Someone said they were wearing a black mask or something, but that didn't make sense to us."

For this first time since Hollows had entered the room, Koukou sat straight up on the throne, leaning forward with full attention. That description had not escaped her memory, nor the implication and severity of their presence. Even Bylosse, who stood at the edge of the room in silence, looked on with hardened eyes. Both Adjuchas trembled.

"I will convene with Madorean and Mizuki on the matter. If that is everything, you are both dismissed."

Not long after their departure did Koukou speak. To Bylosse. To herself. To the air.

"Nearly a century since the last unfamiliar Shinigami stepped into Bosque Santuario, and now two in a few months. A year earlier or a year later would have been fine, so why now? The timing could not be more inconvenient."

"Their timing does seem to be too convenient. I suspect there was a spy amongst the refugees, or at least one of the Shinigami from that group in the Forest survived and relayed information to the Seireitei." Bylosse answered.

"A possibility, but it does not explain why Squad Zero is getting involved." Koukou pulled herself back into the throne and leaned her head against a hand, half-facing away from Bylosse, "Unfortunate. Without Kaisett's gaze, our information is limited. What do those stationed in the forest say?"