16 - Odium and Candor

Aizen returned from the Soul Society the next evening, having left after the events of yesterday, unable to stay despite the seriousness of the situation without drawing suspicion from the other Shinigami. Upon his return he found that the guards stationed at the entrance were missing. Not that they were dead – their spiritual pressures were located near the top of Tower Vare alongside Madorean and Mizuki.

While their ongoings were of interest, there were more pressing matters. Koukou would be difficult to find, as her reiatsu blended into the background of Bosque Santuario. There would be much more luck finding one of her compatriots. Sensing Nallundra at the back of Keep Paito, Aizen began the long walk to the far end of the colony.

Past the field of Hollows in their renewed uncertainty. Farther than the empty lake so quiet and still. Beyond the austere buildings of the trade district. A single guard at the entrance of the castle greeted him with the slightest nod.

Everything was quiet within the foyer as he entered. Not a single Hollow wandered the halls nor could a single soul be sensed except for the spiritual pressure hiding behind the closed noren leading to the back room. As he walked closer to the doorless frame he could hear hushed whispers from two voices – one of which was progressing into an animalistic snarl. Aware of the potential ramifications entering the room would have, Aizen peeked through a crack in the door.

Nallundra stood in front of Koukou with clenched fists and narrowed eyes, in a stance that could only be described as battle-ready. Her tail was held near-vertically over her head, its white fur ruffled so that it appeared much larger.

"How could you kill Rymenocc? He was one of our most powerful men!" Nallundra growled with a flick of her tail, "Soldiers fled! If we were at at risk before, we are fucked now."

She turned her head for a moment as Aizen entered the room, only offering a glance before her attention returned to Koukou. Koukou stood still before Nallundra, her own tail uncurled and low and arms at her side.

"Rymenocc disobeyed multiple orders. His behavior was completely unacceptable. If–" Unlike Nallundra, her voice was calm and lacked malice and her expression hardened only slightly as Nallundra cut Koukou off.

"Are you certain it isn't because you are putting the Shinigami ahead of us?" Nallundra hissed as she lifted her arm and gestured towards Aizen without turning to face him. Aizen narrowed his eyes as the air fell still. Vines ran from the sleeve of the rabbit-eared Hollow's kimono and encased her outstretched arm, forming a sharpened point at the end of her hand. The resultant blade was then pointed at an unmoving Koukou.

"Nallundra..." Again the calm voice spoke, as though the threat was meaningless. The words had little time to linger in the air before Nallundra sprinted towards with a booming hiss. Sharpened edge swung towards the eyeless Hollow's neck.

When Nallundra stopped in front of Koukou, so did the room itself, as though time itself waited for the outcome. Blade and claws lingered mere centimeters from her throat, the two stood locked in quiet contention. It was a battle of wills not meant to be won and yet it did come to a nonviolent end almost as fast as it had begun. Nallundra lowered her right arm and dropped the sharpened edge away from Koukou and grabbed the center of Koukou's kimono with her other hand.

"... it is only a matter of time before the Shinigami invade Bosque Santario. Rymenocc was right, in at least one regard, that we are just waiting to be slaughtered. It is even more important that we cooperate amongst ourselves if we are going to stand a chance." Koukou said in the same tone. She did not comfort Nallundra even as the pink-haired woman's head sank and her grip loosened.

"Rymenocc had shown multiple times he was not willing to work alongside us. That is why he had to be cut down." The words never met the pulled-back white ears of the other woman.