21 - The Prophecy of the Serpent

What was once a private room at the back of Castle Paito with a table and couch for occasional meetings was now closer to a throne room, dedicated to the hearing of citizens and guards – a change brought about, in part, due to refugees from a strange Shinigami presence in the forest.

Koukou, dressed in a brilliant shade of purple, laid across the white throne of stone with a white silk cloth draped over her while an Adjuchas with an insectoid mask read from an aged parchment inked in black.

To the Queen that skulks beneath the sands,

Know that one day time will one day come for you, as it does for all things!

It has been over a century since last you bested me, alongside your servant that wields the power of time and the Earth itself. My army has grown stronger and I grow bored of watching nothing unfold day-after-day. The scampering of insects into your domain has not escaped my notice, so I know that the same is true for you. Come, entertain me with either another battle or bring your army so we might watch the insects fight in our names.

I anticipate your timely arrival,

Baraggan the God King of Hueco Mundo

The Menos finished reading the note with trembling voice and hands, "You're not going to send us all to die at the hands of that guy's army, are you?"

"No. Why would you believe that?" Koukou exhaled sharply, "You are one of the new arrivals, are you not?" – The other Hollow nodded, along with his two companions – "Then know that I have no interest in throwing your lives away. Baraggan sends a letter seldom different from this at least once a century out of boredom. It is enough for me to pay him a visit and best him in battle. Though –" She paused and coiled deeper into the cushioned seat, " – he will need to wait a while longer."

"Bylosse, would you please write a letter informing Baraggan that he must wait? And you three" – the trio of Hollows standing shoulder-to-shoulder froze under a dense cloud of golden reiatsu – "will deliver the letter today. Swallow your fear, no harm will come to you so long as they are informed that you are under our protection."

While her words did little to stave off the fear extruded by the two humanoid Adjuchas, the third, with their four legs unshaken by the task laid before them, bowed,

"We won't let you down, Lady Koukou."

"It's done," Bylosse handed the letter, rolled and marked with a ring of crystal, to the thin purple Hollow who nearly dropped the paper, juggling it between his hands before finally catching it. With a final bow, the three left the room and two more entered.

"Hello, Ilfeen and Nitaal. What do you have to report?"

Ilfeen, the smaller of the two Hollows, jutted forward like a marionette. Six yellow eyes lined in orange looked out from a circular white mask, black sclera amplifying their inhuman glint. Around the mask's gnashing teeth and curled into a sneer upon its cheeks was the same strong hue. Elongated limbs and hands clasped together in a predatory prayer that did not match the soft voice that came from behind the veil,

"There is no longer enough housing. Several disputes have broken out over the last few homes in the cliffs and I fear that some will soon try to evict others. Blood will follow. Will it be possible to create more?"

Koukou nodded, "As of now, there are plans to expand the entirety of Bosque Santuario deeper into the mountainside and beyond. It will not begin for a few months, so it may be necessary to create temporary solutions. Nallundra will construct something suitable in time."

"About Nallundra..." The other Hollow, Nitaal, stepped forward, "we are also running low on food. The recent harvest is not expected to last as long as the previous ones, leaving only a few more months of food. We know Nallundra has been working hard to produce more, but there's little more space and water. Lake Kristylian is at the lowest point it has been since I arrived over two centuries ago." A hand rushed to the side of his skull-like mask, "More importantly, we are low on spirit orbs. Without those, I fear that civilization will break down."