06 - Stifling Growth

Light filtered through the screen walls as semblances of "morning" came into being. The room was no longer barren, not entirely. Instead of open shelves, there was now a set of shoji screens, made of equally unidentifiable timber that obstructed the inner view. Inside lay a second set of clothes beside the shihakusho Aizen had retrieved yesterday. A low table of unidentifiable wood rested in the corner wall, beside the door.

Atop the desk was an unpolished opaque crystalline dome that, when moved, sent a cascade of light through the air from the orb within. Paper, ink, and a calligraphy brush danced in the pleasant light. Adding the "Shinigami Regulations Encyclopedia" to the desk's collection, the Shinigami stepped out of the room.

"Hey," a familiar doll-like voice trilled from beside the doorway. Nallundra leaned up against the wall next to the door, hands combing through her hair. She shot a sideways glance at the Shinigami and brushed off her hands on her skirt. He greeted her in turn.

"I hope you're ready for today's training; I'm not going to go easy on you just because you are new here."

Aizen knew that was untrue, that Nallundra had no permission to harm him. Regardless, he agreed with a half-smile.

"Then let's go."

They made their way to the sandy fields that served as training grounds through the same quiet roads as yesterday. It was empty, with moss already encroaching upon the ruptures created in the ground by the tendrils from yesterday.

When they arrived at the edges of the sandy plain, Nallundra threw one of her hands outwards. A sudden snap, followed by a low rumble, precluded the sudden eruption of an imposing vine at the pit's center. Sand plumed across the area and grains struck the mountainside and slid down onto the mossy ground below. Aizen shielded his eyes. Nallundra separated her palms, the plant rising under the command. At its full height, it stood four times as tall as any man.

"Today, we're doing speed training. Basically, I want you to dodge that vine. If it's too easy, I'll speed it up. If it grabs you too many times, I'll slow it down. You have to make it until the shadow of the stone lantern disappears. We start... now."

The vine lumbered forward, base unmoving. It rolled towards Aizen with all the momentum of a gently falling leaf. Unsure if he was meant to walk around it or not, he jumped over its slothful form without effort. Broad verdant leaves brushed across the sands as it continued past. Then the tendril twisted backwards rapidly, entwining his leg and dragged him to the ground with unexpected strength. As though answering a command, the vine receded with a snap of Nallundra's fingers.

"I was sure you wouldn't have any problems with that one. Oh well! Get up and let's try again." She said, stifling a giggle.

Aizen brushed the sand from his clothes and returned to his feet. Again the tendril shambled in his direction, sluggish speed and unchanging goal. When it reached him this time, he easily jumped over it. It turned back to ensnare him, but lacked the ferocity it originally displayed. Missing its target, the vine coiled a single time, then returned to its standing height. The process repeated several times, with the plant changing only the direction of approach.

"This speed was more of a warm-up, anyway. You can probably easily handle... what? Four times that? Hope you're ready!"

There was barely a moment between the purple-eyed Hollow's words and the rapid swing of the emerald vine. Aizen ducked under the mass as it lurched above. Smooth, chlorophyll-filled arms contorted themselves downwards, brushing against the leg of the Shinigami's hakama as he rolled past. There was no coil; no returning to its standing position. With its target missed, the vine turned over itself and straightened its length as it darted after its prey. To avoid the tendril, he ran, to little avail. The vine encroached upon Aizen, slowly but surely. He realized that running alone would not prevent the plant from catching him and came to a sudden stop and slid underneath as it hovered above.