07 - Ensnared Ink

Piercing metal striking a solid surface resonated throughout the air like a bell's chime, followed by the echoing whoosh of a heavy mass flying through the air. Light blue reishi trailed its trajectory, dissipating as it approached the earth. Aizen steadied himself and caught his fall, driving his hands into the sands below as he slid backwards to offer some hope of stopping before he collided with the stones and moss-covered ground.

How many years has it been?

Trajectory finally stopped, Aizen fell to his knees, breathless once again. He struck the sand in anguish. The blow that sent him flying left him uninjured; save for his pride. Sweat pooled off of his brow as he sat prostrating himself upon the sands, brown hair sticking to his face as he lifted his head. A familiar Hollow approached him, each step casting sand aside and emitting a faint golden aura. Each step heavier than the last.

How many times had he tried to best her?

Unmarred, Koukou extended a hand towards the Shinigami knelt before her. Without taking her hand, he turned his head away from her and rose. Koukou frowned, but when she opened her mouth to speak, a deep booming voice interrupted her from the sand path nearby.

"Yo, Lady Koukou. We caught a rat."

Rymenocc stood just outside of the perimeter of the training field with blood dripping from the tip of his katana. Faint black curls shadowed his once bald head. Orange eyes pierced like burning arrows, focused only upon Koukou–unwilling to grant so much as a glimpse at the other behind her. No amount of time altered the contempt Rymenocc held towards those from the Soul Society. To accept their kind was to forgive indiscriminate murderers and executioners.

Beside him stood Nallundra, her long hair loosely tied into pigtails, each one forming a single ringlet. She acknowledged Aizen with a slight nod before her gaze shifted to match Rymenocc's. No expression upon her lips, Koukou awaited a lengthier explanation.

"We caught the damned Shinigami alive, but he's in bad shape. If we're gonna get any information out of the bastard, now would be the time." Rymenocc said without any semblance of compassion.

"Very well." As Koukou turned to leave with the large Arrancar, she spoke quiet words only Nallundra could hear. There was no need for the words to be heard for the meaning to be understood—Nallundra's agreement told all. With a nod from the rabbit-eared Hollow, Koukou and Rymenocc walked past and faded out of sight. Rymenocc spared no glance at Aizen as he disappeared along with their leader, while the other Hollow remained behind.

"I'm going to take you to Tower Vare, I need to be at the interrogation as well."

"There is no need to escort me; I am more than capable of getting to Tower Vare myself." Aizen said between clenched teeth.

"That might be true, but it would make me feel more comfortable if I escorted you." Her tone indicated that there was no room for debate. Scowling, Aizen wiped the sweat from his brow and brushed his brown hair aside as he began to follow her with reluctant steps. Nallundra offered him a sideways glance before remarking, "You've been in such a bad mood lately..."

Her words tailed off, and he offered no reply. A walk both had made many times felt endless in the unyielding silence. Passerby Hollows noticed the sour atmosphere and shifted out of sight as they passed. Even the light of Tower Vare could not brighten the darkness looming above their path.

At the faintly lit entryway leading into Tower Vare, Mizuki rushed outside beaming with a joy oblivious to the discontent. It was followed by a greeting just as chipper as the innocence radiating from him. He now stood only a head shorter than his mother; a difference highlighted by him hugging her tightly. His pink curls were cut closer to his head than they had been a few years ago but still coiled around his face as though he were an angel. Nallundra hugged him in return before the three headed inside and were met by Madorean.