James Potter And Vernon Dursley

Start from the beginning

He felt inferior.

James was young, handsome, and charming. Not to mention, he had something Vernon couldn't even dream of possessing. Magic.

Lily tried to break the ice and turned to her sistee, "So, Petunia, how have you been? It's been a while since we last saw each other."

Petunia replied curtly, "Yes, well, we've been quite busy with our... normal lives."

Vernon chimed in with an awkward laugh, "Yes, none of that wand-waving stuff around here, you know."

James, trying to be friendly, said, "Oh, I understand. Muggles have their own ways of doing things. It's all fascinating, really."

Vernon's face tightened, and he grumbled, "Fascinating, huh? Aren't your lives more peculiar and dangerous– I don't know, it's just my opinion if you ask me."

Lily tried to steer the conversation away from magic, knowing it was a sensitive topic. "Have you both been working hard?" She asked since the couple had just gotten new jobs. "I know house mortgages just shot up, I can't believe we're slowly turning into America."

Vernon nodded, "Yes, yes, I run a successful drill manufacturing company. It's a proper and respectable business, unlike, you know, magic shops."

James felt a bit insulted but kept his composure yet again, "Well, magic has its own charm and uses, just like your drills, I suppose."

He didn't like how Vernon downplayed the wizarding world. And Lily didn't like how no matter how hard she steered the wheel away from magic, it always shifted back to it anyway.

Petunia interjected, "Yes, well, charm isn't always a good thing. You never know what sort of mess you might create with your... spells."

Lily sighed inwardly, feeling the tension rise. "We're careful, Petunia. Magic can be wonderful when used responsibly."

Vernon huffed, "Responsible or not, it's not normal, and that's that."

Feeling the need to change the subject entirely, James attempted a lighter tone, "So, Vernon, do you follow any sports? Maybe we can find some common ground there."

Vernon raised an eyebrow, "Sports, huh? Well, I do enjoy watching some rugby from time to time."

"Ah, rugby! That's quite a rough sport, isn't it?" James replied, hoping to find some common ground.

Lily added, "James here used to play Quidditch at Hogwarts. It's a wizarding sport played on broomsticks."

She was so proud of him. She swore she had stars and hearts in her eyes whenever she looked at him.

And as much as she knew Vernon and Petunia didn't want to talk about magic, they were adults that could handle discussing lives different than their own.

Vernon's eyes widened, clearly unimpressed, "Flying around on broomsticks? Sounds like a dangerous hobby to me."

James chuckled nervously, "Oh, it's all perfectly safe with proper training and enchantments, you know."

Petunia looked unconvinced, "I can't believe you two live in such a strange world."

When James or Lily didn't respond to Petunia's comment, the Dursleys exchanged glances. Maybe a change of topic really was necessary.

Lily rolled her eyes. She had hoped things would be different. Lily and James weren't making such a fuss about Petunia's and Vernon's lifestyles, so why were they making fun of theirs?

"So, how are your parents?" Vernon cleared his throat, finally asking James a question.

"Well, they're dead."