17 - Starved Confessions

Start from the beginning

"Bakudō #4. Hainawa."

Koukou spoke the words and a golden rope of reishi zig-zagged from her hands towards Aizen. Despite the lack of distance, Aizen dodged again with ease by separating their blades and creating distance before taking the offensive once more. While her hands were still glowing and connected to the line of energy careening into the darkness of the Forest of Menos, Aizen ducked under the beam and closed the gap between himself and her side. His opponent pulled her hands and sword back and upwards, unable to block the incoming blow. In one motion the fight would be over.
Just before the strike could connect and end the conflict, Aizen's arm was captured by the opposite end of the energy. From his arm the energy wrapped around his chest and other arm before immobilizing him enough to cause him to stumble to the ground. There was not enough time to stand before Koukou placed the tip of the energy sword at his neck in a show of victory. Cheering resumed from the backline – for the Adjuchas, at least. Frustration appeared on Aizen's face for but a moment before softening into an amused smile.

"Hiding Kido within your reiatsu? That was unexpected." He said.

"If it failed, the fight would have belonged to you." Koukou said, outstretching a hand. Maintaining the faint smile, Aizen wordlessly took the hand and rose to his feet as the remnants of the kido spell burned away. Their hands fell away, yet left behind a lingering touch.

"Watching you two spar makes me miss our own fights." Nallundra skipped into the arena as she spoke with a twinge of enthusiasm hidden amongst her words.

"Would you like to spar as we once did?" Koukou asked Nallundra.

"Aren't you tired after practice today?" Nallundra asked.

"Not so much that I would be unwilling to indulge you a little."

"I feel like I should be insulted. You're on." Nallundra grinned and moved to the opposing side of the arena. Aizen exited to the sidelines, alongside a still Bylosse – who spared him no glance.
The Adjuchas huddled at the edges, engrossed in the rarity of the event unfolding before them. Had this sparring match begun in Bosque Santuario, it would have attracted the attention of all the Hollows bored with work and become a spectacle – a modest annoyance that was one of several reasons training rarely occurred within the civilization's confines anymore.
Nallundra flicked her wrists, sending dozens of droplets of green reiatsu across the rugged ground. Cracks broke through the earth as numerous familiar vines rose towards the ceiling too dark and far to see, highlighted only by the faint light provided by the distant moon. Each hungry vine pointed towards Koukou.
One by one they fell with each swing of light blue blade, disappearing before their split remains crashed to the ground. When Koukou made it to Nallundra, the reishi blade met a kodachi composed of twisted wood. The kodachi's edge, duller than metal could hope to hold, chipped as the blade of pure energy bit into the comparatively soft material and locked it in place.
Utilizing the opening caused the interlocking of blades, Nallundra removed one hand from the sword and from the freed hand sprung a twisted tendril, sharpened to a point, aimed at the smaller woman's chest. It grazed the collar of her clothes, cutting the yellow fabric patterned with wide scales and through to the pallid skin below. The superficial mark was worth the risk and the scratch was returned with a kick to the ribs that forced Nallundra's retreat.
What was once a piercing vine became a whip that grazed the ground with each breath taken by the Menos with the rabbitine mask and the sword disappeared from her other hand. Koukou took the offensive with Nallundra fending off each blow while regenerating the whip after each cleave cut it in two. For each lash that met its target, two strikes cut into the teal silk decorating her figure.
After it became clear that loss was inevitable for Nallundra, Koukou moved so that she was on the opposite side of the arena and the sword she wielded faded into nothing.