12 - Unto Reality and Sacrament

Start from the beginning

"Aizen," Koukou began, breaking the unease that had started to form, "We are happy for your return," Koukou smiled. It was faint, reserved yet genuine, and Aizen returned the expression for but a moment as she continued, "Would you join us for dinner? There is someone else who would be happy to see you again."

"I would like nothing more." Aizen replied.
"Then, please, be our guest." Koukou said, turning to cross the archway back into the fervent light of the society of Hollows with four behind.
Violet flowers of flax danced in the field to their left, stronger and more sturdy than before. Each stalk clamored towards the light that fed their forms in hope of absorbing more of its strength so that it alone may grow above the rest. The same tale was told by the verdant field of rice across the path that reached above any of their heads in their struggle for life, casting a shadow across the left side of the path. Within the fields scuttling could be heard and a dozen figures stirred on each side – some moved away from the group, others turned to face their passing, and a few carried on as normal – but none would escape the detection of the four members' reikaku – their spirit sense.
Reikaku is the ability of a soul to sense spiritual pressure that any trained individual would use to detect the world around them. In fact, as a fighter becomes more skilled they begin to rely upon reikaku in order to see – fights happen at speeds that not even the keenest of eyes could hope to follow. For this reason, there was no surprise as the four turned to face the rice field as a figure slunk from its occluded depths.

"Lady Koukou, what is–" A shrill voice came from the vegetation as the darkened stalks parted, "Ah. It's just you. Long time no see, Aizen." The many-limbed Hollow said as they rose to their towering length, cruel yellow eyes peered from the square mask and landed upon the Shinigami before the gaze to meet Rymenocc's own.

"What is it, Adytullus?" Rymenocc asked.

"We caught a few hostile Hollows trying to break in from Tower Vare's entrance." Adytullus replied, "What should we do with them?"

"Leave them in their cells until we pay them a visit. We'll decide what to do with them then." Rymenocc replied. With nod and slight bow Adytullus receded into the brushes from whence he came. The journey resumed.

"Breaking in? It's been a couple of decades since anyone has been dumb enough to try that. Do you think Baraggan sent them?" Nallundra asked into the air.

"He's not the type to try something so underhanded. You know that if he wanted something, there'd be an army at our gates demanding it – if he thought he could get away with it." Bylosse said. Both fields dropped when the group fell within sight of the far castle, the clearing that broke the engulfing waves of vegetation now dotted with a pair of stone sheds with field tools leaning against their sides. The shed to their right ran up against the pathway leading into the trade district and its ajar doors revealed a passage below with two pairs of eyes peeking out into the well-lit atmosphere above.
There were more buildings visible along the trade-district's passageway, but there would be no time to take in all the additions and speckles of color now adorning the once-gray sea of stone as Koukou led them farther up the path. At the fork to the left they came to stop at the tip of the shadow cast by the azumaya under the light of Tower Vare.

"Baraggan may not be so conniving, but the Vasto Lorde conducting experiments on the surface Hollows is unlikely to hold such reservations." Koukou gave Nallundra's question an answer now that it had lingered in the air for half the trip before continuing down the cobbled path. Combined with the close proximity to the sun-like sphere at the top of the looming tower, the orbs adorning the posts of the bridge leading to the azumaya were bright to the point of discomfort – like a summer sun reflected in snow.

"Isn't that guy working under the so-called 'King of Hollows' anyway?" Nallundra asked, shielding her eyes from the lights as she hurried to walk beside Koukou. Each pair of orbs flickered as Koukou walked past, giving temporary reprieve from the assailing luminance.