A New Beginning

Ever since I was a little child, I knew I was different. A rarity one doesn't see around in general, except for in prisons or in detention centres, or some rare corners of the world where your identity can be hidden. For I was half human, half monster. And no one ever let me forget it. Even though there was not so much tension and discrimination between different species, a mix-breed was an entirely different case. It was too much for the older generation of both humans and monsters to bear. 'You are a creep, an abomination.' 'A vile creature that shouldn't exist.'

If I could ignore the eventual insults and degraded remarks thrown at me, I could be at peace. If I never resorted to violence and had the courage to walk away from confrontation, I would never have to weep. Only if I believed in the goodness of the world and pay heed to the little signs of kindness around me, I could bear all pain happily. At least, that's what I believed, until that day. It all began three years ago.

...

..

.

"Go out there and make a name for yourself, Sahas." My mother's arguments would land on the same point from time to time. "As a half monster, if you don't even achieve something big then there is no point to your existence."

"B-but I already am at the top of my class and one of the strongest for my age-" Even though I knew it was only going to hurt me as always, I had to reply.

"Shut up! You are just a worthless little crap who managed to stand out a bit in a no-name school." She shouted in disgust. "Being the son of the Great Flameswordsman, you should at least be capable of entering the Elysium Elite Academy! Otherwise, you are just a miserable creature with no value whatsoever." She pointed at me angrily and scowled.

Elysium Elite Academy, as the name implies, is an academy for the most elite students; a place for them to grow and develop into worthwhile assets for the nation. Being a student at that academy was a great honour and a dream for all, but only one in ten thousand or so managed to do it. Even though I was an Elite at my school, I was aware of the reality. I wasn't talented enough to stand a chance in the face of such fierce competition. Just as I sighed at the thought of failing the entrance exam miserably, the sound of a door opening and shutting entered my ears.

"Mother, we are home!" A childish voice echoed in the hallway.

"Ah, my little children, you are back! Let me hug you for the love of my heart!" Mother exclaimed dramatically as she lovingly embraced the two kids running towards her. She patted them like they were delicate porcelain dolls on display. "Are you doing well now, sweethearts?" She asked, her eyes sparkling with concern, and then waved at me to go away. After all, she needed time in peace to dote on the epitome of excellence before her.

"Yes, Mother, you know what? Today we~" Young Rine smiled with joy.

"Yes, yes. Something delightful happened to us today! And it is~" Little Alice joined in.

"Hoh, let me guess... The two of you made it to the top ranks again?" Mother asked with delight.

"Ah, there's that, Mother, but the reason for our happiness is something else," Rine said teasingly. "Please do better with the guesswork!"

Oh, by all means, let's not rush to reveal this monumental achievement. The suspense is truly unbearable. After all, who wouldn't be on the edge of their seat to learn about their conquest of... the rudimentary kids' obstacle course they call a dungeon?

"Yes, yes! This is a big moment for us, you know?" Alice said in a cheerful voice.

"I see, now just what could it be~"