Chapter Sixteen

"For the next months after my mother's death, I was treated like a maid. Going to school was my only escape from all the house chores they're forcing me to do. I experienced physical abuse from his woman. She likes to hit me with a stick, kick me, and slap me for unknown reason. Seeing me in pain is her pleasure, and when I fight back that man would be the one to beat me.

"They are making sure to harm me in places that can't be seen by people. Do I look like a punching bag to them to hurt me like they did? I obeyed them even if I don't have to. I endured everything even if it's getting too much for me to carry. If it wasn't for Kaori, I doubt I can keep going. I was the one who took care of her from when she turned five until she's 10. That's why she's attached to me and didn't take after her parents. I'm glad that Kaori grew up kind and gentle."

"Just like someone I know." I said as I squeeze her hand and give her a smile.

She smiled a little and despite the dried tears and puffy eyes she's still undeniably beautiful.

I reached out for the loose strand of her hair and tucked it behind her ear.

She's really pretty.

"Thank you."

"Too early for that, you have more to say, right?"

She nodded. "When my mom passed away I have no one to talk with. So I really appreciate having you here with me right now, Cia. I'm glad to be friends with you."

"I feel the same way, you know. I'm happy you chose to be in this country out of so many."

"This is where my home is. After I was disowned by him, I---"

"Wait, wait, wait...you were disowned?"

"Yeah, when he found out I'm lesbian I got kicked out of the house and was disowned. That's why I'm using my mother's surname rather than his. He treated my sexuality like a disease saying that I might influence Kaori in being a disgrace to the family for liking women."

I heave a deep sigh. "Honestly, I think its for the best, because now you are free from what's holding you back for years. You now have the freedom that your mother wished for you to have. You are no longer caged or tied to the responsibility they're forcing you to do. Most importantly, you don't have to endure anymore pain."

"That's right, but coping up was not easy. If I wasn't a mangaka I wouldn't even afford to fly here in the Philippines. He didn't gave me even a cent. I only have my backpack with few clothes, my passport and some documents, as well as my drawing tablet. Before leaving Japan I made sure to get my papers from school. I'm glad I got kicked out right after the school year ended. It took days to sort everything and I spend those days sleeping in an internet cafe because a hotel would be too much for my budget.

"Two months before the new school year started, I arrived here in the Philippines. First thing I did was to look for a job, and fortunately I got accepted in the cafe I'm currently working at. For two months I was a full time worker while being a mangaka too. I managed to buy a computer with my salary, and painting tools as well. Then I searched for a nearby school and found Z, and immediately enrolled. Now, as you know, I'm working part-time and still a manga artist while studying."

I leaned on her shoulder and hold her hand in between mine. "As you also know, I already like you even before I learn about your story. Now, I like you even more. I'm sorry for everything you've been through to get onto this point. I'm sorry that you have to experience such terrible events, and I'm sorry I wasn't with you during those time. I wished I could've known you earlier. But thank you for coming this far. Thank you for not giving up, and thank you for choosing to live. You made a promise to me before, so let me promise you the same thing. I'll protect you, especially from that man."