14; Seoul Searching Hearts.

Start from the beginning

However, that meant Amina's patience was slowly running out. She had been living with those insults and words constantly playing in her mind, like a broken playlist, when she lay on her bed at midnight.

The words creeped out and haunted her, leaving her no escape.

Veronica's insults were nothing new. However, it was the first time she had brought up Amina's background. Not the so-called connections one that Amina knew nothing of, but the actual part on her resume.

The dropout part. The decision she hadn't regretted until that point, where something as common as a degree was being rubbed in her face.

"-You're dumb because you're uneducated as well. If you're going to be shameless and climb the ladder all the way here, then you should at least have the background to back it up. You're just pathetic now. You're useless, and nothing but a liability to the team."

Amina didn't ask for this. She didn't ask for a job under Veronica. She didn't ask for a job at a place as big as theirs. Hell, when she applied, she had the least expectation of getting a response from them.

Yes, she couldn't understand the logic behind everything, and the only woman capable of giving her answers was still nowhere in sight, adamant on following a potential asset around Seoul with no positive response so far.

She was confused, exhausted, and mentally stressed. But she still tried to keep it together and get through it.

"-What? You thought you'd get straight to modeling with your connections? Or do you perhaps think one day you'll get the job you actually wanted and leave this behind? Oh, please, stop dreaming. You're in no way cut out for that. Look around, see the others in line for the job, do you think you can compete with them? Connections or not, here you work to get what you want. If you want something, you work your ass off for it. You, on the other hand, are nothing but a pitiful case. A loser."

Veronica's words were all that replayed in her mind as Amina strolled around with hunched shoulders. The incident had happened hours ago, and they had already gotten off work, so the day ended as if nothing had happened.

It would've felt that way if not for the words replaying. She's useless, she's a liability, she's a loser.

Living alone and fending for herself had proven to be a lot more difficult than she expected - ten times worse. But yet, she was determined to keep going; she wanted the experience.

She was starting to regret it, though. How could she not, when she had been suffering day in and day out at work? If it was just the physical workload, it would've been fine. However, the mental abuse was simply too much.

Not when she knew better than anyone how much time and effort she spent trying to understand how the job works despite having no passion for it. She even had to ask Hades, her workmate, to walk her through it.

She pulled all-nighters to complete paperwork, and her sleeping schedule was a mess at the moment, disrupted by the repetitive action. All for what?

To be treated like a fool, or to be mocked and insulted?

Amina wasn't sure how she managed to get through it earlier without saying a thing. She simply stood there and accepted the insults until Veronica got tired and stormed out, leaving Amina alone with passersby who stopped to gossip.

Amina ignored them as she crou

ched low and gathered the papers yet again with slightly shaky hands and a blurry gaze. She didn't allow them to fall, though. Instead, she forcefully swallowed her emotions and gathered the papers, heading back to redo them.