Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

I guess everything about me today is a bit too dramatic.

Like my conversations.

And my emotions.

Sigh – and my reactions.

But I'll tell you what though, it's a load of shit.

A huge pile of steaming, stinking shit fresh from the – three more knocks sound out, more impatient than the last, snapping me from my most rational thoughts of the day.

"I'm comin!"

I pull open the door, ready to rip the person on the other side a new one for being so impatient but my mood instantly shifts when I recognize the familiar kind, honey brown eyes and salt and pepper hair.

His lips curl into a sweet, fatherly smile, his eyes crinkling in the corners before concern morphs his aging features.

"Alfred," I wrap my arms around his broad shoulders clad in an immaculate black suit, something I've never done before. I'm definitely off to the looney bin. Sayonara bitches! It was great knowing ya!

He awkwardly taps my back like release me you scoundrel. Okay, not really but I take a step back anyway, ending the awkward moment of contact.

"What are you doing here? I mean it's good to see ya, but shouldn't you be in New York close to your daughter and grandchildren?"

"Mr. Williams sent – are you okay, Miss Ellis?"

"Alfred, I told you plenty of times to call me Telana or Lana," I deflect. "Do I need to pack a bag or something?" I sprinkle over some more deflection, hoping he doesn't ask again. I don't like lying, I'm not fond of it but I will if I have to and right now is one of those moments where a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

"No, Telana, Lana," he moves his head to the side, mouthing my name. "I like Lana. It reminds me of my daughter, Lena."

"Where is she?" I ask, crossing my arms and leaning against the doorframe.

"Ireland," he smiles. "Are you ready to go?"

"Where are we going?"

"I'm under strict orders not to tell you."

"Not even a hint?"

"Not even a hint."

"Alright. Give me ten minutes, please. I want to freshen up and change my clothes."

"I'll be in the car."

"Alfred, you are more than welcome to come inside."

"Thank you," he smiles, and I step aside, welcoming him into my family home.

"Would you like anything to eat, drink?" I offer, shutting the door.

"No, thank you but if you could please point me in the direction of the bathroom, I would highly appreciate it."

"Follow me," I lead the way, ignoring the picture frames decorating the wall, hoping Alfred doesn't see Alec in nearly all of them.

I point to the bathroom anxiously, waiting for the questions about the man looking at me with so much affection but nothing comes and it's 'cause I'm freaking out for nothing. He didn't see the pictures.

It's best to just act as normal as humanly possible and not stand outside the bathroom while he does his business.

I walk to my bedroom, packing a few things even though he answered no. I can't go unprepared. Hell, I don't even know where I'm going.

I hate being unprepared and forcing me into a situation like this one seriously gives me the ick. Justin knows how much I despise it, but he's been wanting me to live life more in the moment instead of always knowing the how's, where's, and why's.